Saturday 13 March 2010

Khan: we have plans for Mayweather and Pacquiao inside 18 months -- Telegraph

By Gareth A Davies, Telegraph.co.uk

Oscar de la Hoya was in London today with his new charge Amir Khan, whom he strongly believes can be “the next great fighter to come out of England.”

De la Hoya, the ten time, six weight world champion, explained: “He has a tough challenge in front of him, but we want to prove to the world he can become what we think he can become – that is a great champion.”

Khan believes his American debut at the theatre in New York’s Madison Square Garden – which seats 5000 – against Paulie Malignaggi on May 15 will be “electric”. He also sees himself as bound for contests against the likes of Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in the next 18 months.

The WBA light-welterweight title defence is Khan’s first since joining Golden Boy promotions after his split from Frank Warren. The 23-year-old Bolton boxer – a silver medallist at the Athens Olympics in 2004 – believes a contest with Malignaggi will be a night to remember. Others say he is simply ducking mandatory WBA title challenger Marcos Maidana. Khan is certainly not yet the finished article. Not by a long way.

“I will have a real test ahead of me on my American debut at Madison Square Garden, which is the Mecca of boxing. I have fought there before as an amateur, but to fight there as a professional is a whole different ball game. I have a new deal now with Golden Boy Promotions, and they are going to get me the big fights, so I am looking at a bright future. my style and his style, it is going to be electric.”

Khan defeated Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera in March last year, before stepping up a weight and claiming the WBA light-welterweight crown with victory over Andreas Kotelnik. He then destroyed Dmitriy Salita in just 76 seconds in a mandatory title defence in Newcastle last December.

The British boxer had been expected to face Juan Manuel Marquez, but that fight fell through. Marquez pulled out, and the rumours are that he may be matched with Ricky Hatton for a fight in September.

Khan aims to win over the American audience. “I respect Paulie, he has some great fights in the past and has a great record, beaten only by great fighters like Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto – but now there is another fighter coming out who is going to beat him. I am confident, so is my trainer, and I just want to put on a great fight for the American fans and for the British fans who will be travelling out to the US with me. There is only going to be one winner – I am going to keep this title, it is mine.”

Malignaggi, 29, beaten by Hatton, looked good last time out against Juan Diaz “I am a much better fighter today then when I fought Ricky Hatton. I have been inconsistent a lot, but there have been shining moments where I have looked tremendously good, and I feel I am getting back to that point now. I feel sharp, and with a strong team around me. I am now coming into my own.”

Personally, I think Malignaggi’s style, and his lack of a heavy punch, is made for Khan to exploit. I can also see Khan growing as a figure in the US market. But it will take time.

Source: blogs.telegraph.co.uk

***




No comments:

Post a Comment