Saturday 13 March 2010

The blood testing thing -- ESPN

By Kieran Mulvaney, ESPN.com

Even though Floyd Mayweather is fighting Shane Mosley on May 1, and Manny Pacquiao is fighting Joshua Clottey on Saturday, the story that never goes away is the collapse of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight over accusations of performance-enhancing drugs and demands for blood tests.

"People say, 'Why not take the blood test and be over with it?'" Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, told reporters yesterday. "Just because it doesn't bother you to give blood, it doesn't mean it doesn't bother me. Some people pass out when they give blood. I lose him for three days when he gives blood because he feels weak. I don't care if it's mental or physical, it's there. It's all mental, and it's a mental sport."

Despite the increasingly bizarre accusations floated by Floyd Mayweather Sr. and Roger Mayweather, Roach thinks the blood-testing ploy was an effort to gain a psychological upper hand.

"I think he found out that Manny doesn't like to give blood, and he thought it was the perfect way to get Manny to give blood, is to have mandatory blood testing," Roach said. "If I found out that Floyd has a weakness somewhere, I would try and exploit that if I could. Now he's saying he's going to clean boxing up, but he's doing that to cover his tracks, of course. I don't think Floyd's big enough to make the rules. Any new commission rule or sanctioning body, I'm all for that. Whatever it takes."

The trainer still thinks the fight will happen.

"If Mayweather doesn't come to the table, then who else is there out there?"

Source: espn.go.com

***




No comments:

Post a Comment