Saturday 13 March 2010

KHAN HITS BACK AT DRUGS JIBES -- Mirror

By David Anderson, Mirror.co.uk

Amir Khan has hit back at Paulie Malignaggi, claiming: "I've never done drugs."

Khan is furious at what he sees as Malignaggi trying to tarnish him by accusing his stablemate Manny Pacquiao of using steroids.

And the WBA light-welterweight king has vowed to make the fasttalking American pay when they clash on May 15 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"I train with Manny and whatever he does, I do," said Khan. "Does that mean I'm on drugs? "We love working hard and only a few fighters work as hard as we do, but to talk about drugs is rubbish.

"The guy just wants to build publicity for himself. Anytime they want to do a drugs test on me, I'll put my hand up and take one to prove what I'm saying.

"I've never taken anything. I'm a natural athlete - like Manny Pacquiao.

"I don't think he should apologise to me, but he should to the trainers for disrespecting Manny Pacquiao more than anything. I'll make him sorry when I'm in the ring with him."

Malignaggi, 29, who was stopped by Ricky Hatton in November 2008, claimed at yesterday's head-to-head in London's Leicester Square that Khan has been given the "redcarpet treatment" in his career.

The New Yorker, who had 'future legend' on his T-shirt, also dismissed Khan's 22-1 record, claiming no-one has heard of the Athens silver medallist across the Atlantic.

"He goes on about beating the legendary Marco Antonio Barrera, but he just beat the name, not the legend," said the Magic Man, who is 27-3. "I've fought better fighters than this kid and he's not known in the US. He hasn't fought in there yet.

"Every time I fight, people come up to me and say, 'hey, Paulie, who are you going to fight?' and I say, 'Miguel Cotto or Ricky Hatton or Juan Diaz' and they go 'wow, man'.

"But when I say this guy's name, they say 'who's that, is he a contender?' When I beat him everyone will know who he is."

Khan, 23, is focusing on turning on the style on his big American debut in his first fight with US promoters Golden Boy.

The Bolton fighter, who will begin his training camp at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym in Los Angeles on Tuesday, said: "Dmitriy Salita also said I'd never fought anyone as good as him. I knocked him out in one round.

"I shut these fighters up with my fists and that's what I'll do with Paulie Malignaggi."

Source: mirror.co.uk

***




No comments:

Post a Comment