Saturday 13 March 2010

Khan: Drug talk is rubbish -- The Sun

By PAT SHEEHAN, The Sun

AMIR KHAN has hit back for the first time at drug slurs that have engulfed the Los Angeles gym where he trains and roared: I am clean.

The WBA light-welterweight champion defends his title on May 15 against New Yorker Paulie Malignaggi in Madison Square Garden.

Khan, 23, will prepare, as usual, at his trainer Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym in LA, alongside Filipino fight legend Manny Pacquiao.

Malignaggi, 29, has admitted to suspicions about the use of performance-enhancing drugs as Pacman moved from flyweight to welterweight, winning seven world titles along the way.

The controversy flared, though, when Pacquiao refused enhanced drug testing ahead of his proposed fight against Floyd Mayweather Jnr. The bout was called off.

Khan does the same training and drinks the same vitamin supplements as Pacquiao.

And before heading for America, he said: "I train with Manny and keep up with him and everything he does. I do as much or more. Does that mean I'm on drugs?

"We love working hard and only a few fighters work like we do. We put ourselves in the uncomfortable zone. A lot of fighters don't like to go there.

"To talk about drugs is rubbish. Malignaggi just wants to build up publicity for himself.

"Any time they want to do a drugs test on me, I'll put my hand up to prove I'm clean.I'm a natural athlete - like Manny."

Malignaggi has since declared both Khan and Pacquiao are clean. But the Bolton star reckons an apology is in order.

He added: "It's not so much he should apologise to me, it's more to the trainers and for disrespecting Manny. I'll make him feel sorry on May 15."

Sheffield welterweight KELL BROOK, 23, moved closer to his world title dream by stopping Poland's Krzysztof Bienias in six rounds last night to win the WBO intercontinental title.

Source: thesun.co.uk

***




No comments:

Post a Comment