Wednesday 31 March 2010

David’s dodge to see Lennox -- The Sun

By PAT SHEEHAN, The Sun

LENNOX LEWIS 20X24 COLOR PHOTOTEN years after gatecrashing the London Arena to see Lennox Lewis retain the world heavyweight title, David Haye is the main attraction.

Haye, now 29, will be tracked by spotlights as he walks to the ring to defend his WBA title against Johnny Ruiz in front of a sell-out crowd at Manchester's MEN Arena on Saturday.

But things were different when he and some mates got into the now-defunct London venue to watch Lewis destroy Frans Botha in two rounds.

Haye said: "One of my pals paid for a ticket. He went in and opened a fire exit so we could all bundle in although a security guard was trying hard to stop us.

"We all ran round him and disappeared into the crowd before meeting up by ringside where I did a bit more blagging. I sat there just feet from the apron, a £500 ticket for nothing.

"We got there as Lennox was coming to the ring. He was a massive idol of mine. To watch him despatch Frans Botha like that was brilliant.

"Back then I would never have thought in a million years I would be the next Briton defending the heavyweight title over here. I feel proud about it.

"Botha was known as a tough guy and a durable opponent, similar to Ruiz, who always gave people a really hard night's work.

"I'd love to put on the same sort of performance as Lennox did that night and blast him out of there in a couple of rounds.

"I'm not sure Ruiz is as easy to blast out as all that. Adam Booth my trainer has made sure I can go 12 hard rounds if need be.

"But the way I'm punching, Ruiz will have had to have improved his punch resistance 10-fold to go the distance."

Bookies have Haye as favourite but he is taking no notice of the odds.

He said: "In the heavyweight division, one punch can settle it all. You can come unstuck if you don't prepare right.

"Lennox overlooked Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall and look what happened."

Lewis retired in 2003 after stopping Vitali Klitschko. The giant Ukrainian is now WBC champion and in Haye's sights as he dreams of unifying the world heavyweight title.

Source: thesun.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment