Wednesday 31 March 2010

DAVID HAYE WON'T LET DREAM GO -- Daily Star

By Kevin Francis, DailyStar.co.uk

DAVID Haye aims to keep on living the dream when he makes the first defence of his WBA world heavyweight title on Saturday.

‘The Hayemaker’ meets American John Ruiz at Manchester’s MEN Arena – and he has no intention of relinquishing the title he always knew he would win.

He said: “I told everybody since I was a kid that I would become world ­heavyweight champion.

“When you have a dream like that, you go for it, and once you achieve that dream there is no way that you want to let it go.”

Box Like the ProsHaye knows that Ruiz will present a vastly different kind of ­proposition than giant Russian Nikolai Valuev, the man from whom he gained the title in ­November.

And he said: “In that fight the fear was a 23st, 7ft 2in Russian freak and now the fear is losing to Ruiz.

“But that won’t happen. I have got to get my head straight and cannot underestimate John Ruiz. I have got to be on my game.”

The 29-year-old certainly looks in tremendous shape and he said: “I need to be, too. Ruiz has great ­experience of the ­heavyweight division.

“He knocked down ­Holyfield, who was never knocked down in 24 rounds with Lennox Lewis and 14 rounds with Mike Tyson.

“I have seen him try to break people’s arms and he is a rough ­character.

“He has only been stopped once in 50-odd fights and that was early in his career.

A full house is expected and Haye said: “People in Manchester appreciate good boxing.

“It is a treat for them to have the world heavyweight champion.”

The Haye-Ruiz fight will be screened live in HD by Sky Box Office on Saturday night.

Source: dailystar.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment