Friday 9 April 2010

Haye plans four more fights -- Sky Sports

Sky Sports

David Haye has reaffirmed his intention to retire from boxing at the age of 31 - even if he hasn't faced either of the Klitschko brothers by then.

The British heavyweight was in the Sky Sports News studios to look back on his stunning defence of his WBA world title against John Ruiz.

Unser Fitnessbuch
Having become just the second man to stop the experienced American at the MEN Arena on Saturday, Haye is now enjoying a well-earned break.

However, in between eating chips and chocolate for the first time in three months, the 29-year-old is already looking ahead to possible bouts against either Vitaly or Wladimir Klitschko.

Ideal world

"We're just relaxing at the moment but in the next couple of weeks Adam (Booth, Haye's trainer and manager) and I will sit down and really start breaking down what is the best manoeuvre out there," he told Sky Sports News.

"The best one for me, in an ideal world, would be either of the Klitschko brothers. Whichever one is available.

"I know Wladimir has a very effective jab and a good work-rate. But he's very gun-shy - he doesn't like to commit himself. He's shown in many fights when things get hard he finds a way to lose the fight.

"The same thing applies with Vitaly. When things get tough he pulls out with injuries during a fight. I will find a way to make them boys quit.

"They are a league above John Ruiz, and that's not being disrespectful to him (Ruiz). They don't have styles where they take a lot of shots and they are very calculated.

"I believe they are a step above (what I've faced), but I will raise my game to whoever I'm fighting."

He added: "I want to fight (the Klitschkos) and I know they both want to fight. Nobody is running from anybody, it's just all about getting it down on paper and making it happen."

With his intention to hang up his gloves in two years, a decision he made back when he was just 10, Haye intends to keep himself busy.

While he is hopeful of facing both Klitschkos before quitting, the Londoner insists he does not have to fight the Ukrainian siblings to secure his "legacy".

"I'm going to squeeze four fights in, at least two of them against the Klitschko brothers," Haye announced.

"I said when I was 10 years old that I would retire when I was 30-31. I've achieved my goals that I set out to do as a kid; it's now about that extra legacy.

"To unify the titles against Wladimir or Vitaly would be absolutely huge for my legacy. If it doesn't happen in two years, then it doesn't happen. However I will find someone to secure my legacy with.

"I could keep going on for another seven years. I eat healthy, so I could probably go on longer than that if I wanted to.

"But I've seen good friends and fighters where their speech has deteriorated over the years. I'd hate to fall in that category when I'm 38 or 39, where you lose you faculties.

"I'm healthy at the moment and I want to make sure I achieve all my goals and then get out of it (the sport of boxing) the same way I got into it."

Valuev rematch

If a bout with either Wladimir or Vitaly does not come off in the near future, another possible option for Haye could be a rematch with Nikolay Valuev - the man he beat to be crowned world champion.

"It's a possibility," the former cruiserweight admitted. "If the Vitaly and Wladimir fights don't materialise then there is an option where that could potentially happen."

Asked if he'd like to face Valuev again, he replied: "In an ideal world no, because I've already beaten him.

"But if it has to happen, then it has to happen. I believe if I fought him again I'd knock him out this time around. I know I can hurt him and I'd make sure I got to him earlier (than in their first fight)."

Source: skysports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment