Friday 9 April 2010

Floyd Mayweather More Serious For Shane Mosley -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Unbeaten Floyd Mayweather is the first to admit that he is approaching his May 1 bout with WBA welterweight (147 pounds) champion, Shane Mosley, unlike he has any fight of his career.

There have been few interviews as the six-time titlist diligently trains in his Las Vegas-based Mayweather Boxing Gym.

"I have kept my mind focused on training for this fight with very few distractions. Everyone knows I am pretty much an open book with plenty of access to my gym when I am training for a fight. But for this one, it's different," said the 33-year-old Mayweather, in a camp notes' statement issued on Thursday.

"I recognize what Mosley brings to the ring, and he's going to be one hell of an opponent. He's one of the best fighters of this era, and he's been talking a lot about knocking me out," said Mayweather, whose clash will be televised on HBO pay per view.

JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ VS FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR."That is not going to happen. And on May 1, people are going to see another side of me," said Mayweather. "I am ready to capitalize on this opportunity. And come fight night, I will leave no doubt in anyone's mind that I am the best in the world."

Mayweather takes a record of 40-0, with 25 knockouts into his bout with the 38-year-old Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), who will be fighting for only the third time in 30 months when he enters the ring against Mayweather, and ending a nearly 16 month ring absence since his last fight -- a January, 2009, ninth-round knockout victory which dethroned Antonio Margarito as WBA super world welterweight champion.

Nicknamed, "Money," Mayweather will be fighting for only the second time in 29 months -- his last bout being September's lopsided, 12-round unanimous decision over Juan Manuel Marquez that ended a 21-month span between his December, 2007 10th-round stoppage of Ricky Hatton.

Mayweather has been in virtual training seclusion in Las Vegas since March 4, following publicity tours involving the Super Bowl, the NBA All-Star Game, and the press conferences in New York, Washington, D.C., and, Los Angeles. The fighter has doubled up on his workouts, which have included running through the streets, parks and hills of Las Vegas.

"Floyd always trains with intensity and passion, but this camp is unlike others in that he has a singleness of purpose and a focus that is phenomenal," said said Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions. "I can only imagine what is going to happen to Shane Mosley on May 1."

Mayweather did, however, take time earlier this month to play host to his initial Floyd Mayweather Jr. Foundation Benefit Dinner at the MGM Grand, an event that featured 250 guests and raised money to fund charitable work toward "empowering and encouraging community alliances," and, "impacting youth leadership and strengthening family foundations through community development, entrepreneurialism and education."

"The event was extremely successful and the funds raised will go directly to improving our community," said Mayweather.

"Although I am very focused on my May 1 fight, giving back is always a nice break, whether it is feeding the homeless or working with youth in Las Vegas is something that is very important to me," said Mayweather. "It's something I'll continue to do over the next month and beyond."

The funds raised at the dinner, whose honorees included comedian, George Wallace, will be distrubuted among various programs in the areas of education, community outreach, mentoring programs and a youth summer camp.

"I want to thank Floyd and his Foundation for honoring me at their first gala event. Floyd is an integral part of this community and he gives back generously," said Wallace. "Last year, he helped me to fund bicycles for kids in need, and if it wasn't for his help, those kids might not have received those special gifts. I commend Floyd for his work and achievements as a boxer and as a man."

Mayweather also spent time with his four children who range in age from 6-to-10 years -- the boys are Koraun, Zion, and, the girls, Iyanna, and Jirah.

Mayweather celebrated Zion's 9th birthday with a trip to the movies and a night at the Thomas and Mack Center for a recent WWE Smack Down event.

"My kids are my life, and when they have Spring break and can spend more time with me, it is just the greatest feeling," said Mayweather. "Boxing is in the Mayweather blood, so they're no strangers to the gym. To see them here enjoying boxing is great. Having them around just gives me extra motivation to go out and do my job."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment