Friday 30 April 2010

Floyd Mayweather Sr.: 'Master' will step in if Floyd Mayweather loses or if Roger's unavailable -- Grand Rapids Press

By David Mayo, The Grand Rapids Press

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Sr. appeared on the dais at the formal pre-fight press conference, made statements from the podium, and his son referred to him and Roger Mayweather as “my trainers” in an interview this week.

Amid claims that there has been no discussion about how the younger Mayweather’s training situation will be handled if Roger Mayweather faces prison time related to a battery charge this summer, it certainly seems as if the mechanism already is in place.

Mayweather Sr. does not balk in offering his best wishes to his brother.

"I want Roger to be in good shape,” he said.

However, with Roger Mayweather facing the possibility of up to 10 years in state prison if convicted, Mayweather Sr. -- who quit as his son’s trainer in 2000 in a dispute over management -- firmly stated that his son has one obvious choice if the court case goes bad.

"He would be a fool if he didn't take his daddy,” he said. “The only reason Roger is with him is because we had a dispute nine years ago. That's the only reason he's with Roger. I ain't stupid, I ain't dumb and I ain't crazy. I know I'm the best trainer on this planet, so it don't make no difference about what he says, or what anybody says."

Roger Mayweather’s trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 2, exactly one year after he was arrested in an incident stemming from his attempt to evict a female boxer he once trained from a condominium he owns and rents.

Mayweather Sr., who spent ample time in his son’s camp before last September’s comeback win over Juan Manuel Marquez, has been even more visible in the lead-up to Saturday’s fight against Shane Mosley.

He said Mosley, who is roughly a 7-2 underdog, has little chance at victory.

"He loads up with everything,” he said. “Anybody can be whupped but, I'm just saying, the only way he can whup my son is he's got to get lucky."

And if Mosley does, in fact, get lucky? What then?

"I expect my son to win,” Mayweather Sr. said. “I believe my son's going to win. My son has all the knowledge, all the tools, all the wherewithal, to take care of his business, stay on the case and run his place. And if he don't? Guess what? The master's going to step in. And guess what? We'll do it again. And guess what? I'll guarantee you he doesn't come out on the wrong side this time."

E-mail David Mayo: dmayo@grpress.com and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/David_Mayo

Floyd Mayweather Sr. ready to step in as son's trainer if needed

Source: mlive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment