Friday 30 April 2010

Fathers Floyd Mayweather Sr., Jack Mosley recall weigh-in feud before Mosley-De La Hoya -- Grand Rapids Press

By David Mayo, The Grand Rapids Press

Oscar De La Hoya vs Shane Mosley 2003 11x17 Mini MOVIE POSTERLAS VEGAS -- In 2003, when Floyd Mayweather Sr. trained Oscar De La Hoya and Jack Mosley trained Shane Mosley, Mayweather stood in the way while De La Hoya weighed in. So Jack Mosley walked behind him, physically lifted him, and set him aside.

Jack Mosley recalled that incident recently when asked how he gets along with Mayweather, to the latter's dismay.

"I don't know why Jack was even bringing up about that, because I wouldn't have said nothing about it,” Mayweather said. “Really, man, we had been cool. But all this stuff, what do you bring this up for?"

As Jack Mosley recalled it, he wanted to monitor De La Hoya’s weight on the official scale at MGM Grand, the same site where his son will fight the younger Floyd Mayweather on Saturday night.

But Jack Mosley said when the elder Mayweather did not respond to his request to step aside at the scale “I picked him up and set him to the side.”

“He didn't realize how strong I was,” Jack Mosley said. “He was in my way at the scales and he wouldn't move over. I said 'Floyd, you've got to move, it's my turn to stand by the scales,' when Oscar got up to weigh in. He just stood up there.

“So I'm like 'OK, he's not going to let him do that to me in front of 5,000 people,' so I lifted him up and moved him to the side, and got in there and did what I had to do."

Asked about Mayweather Sr.’s response, Jack Mosley said “He just stood there -- he didn’t move.”

He added that the two have gotten along fine in the years since, but publicly recounting that incident raised Mayweather's ire.

"I'll whip the (expletive) out of that old, slow (expletive)," Mayweather said. "That's what I want to say right now. If Shane's daddy wants a fight, we can have a fight right now and I'll guarantee you I will knock him out."

E-mail David Mayo: dmayo@grpress.com and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/David_Mayo

Source: mlive.com

1 comment: