Saturday 27 March 2010

Tua ducks under the trash talk -- New Zealand Herald

By Chris Rattue, New Zealand Herald

David Tua has taken aim at Friday Ahunanya's trainer as final preparations begin for their heavyweight clash on Wednesday.

Best of AucklandAhunanya has been a modestly confident character since arriving in Auckland a week ago, leaving the trash talk to corner man Luis Tapia.

Tapia has jumped into a Luis the Lip role, labelling Tua "chicken" after fight delays and scoffing at the Aucklander's victory over Shane Cameron.

"The nasty guy in this fight is me," Tapia told the Weekend Herald.

Tua responded during an interview in his Onehunga gym, saying the Las Vegas-based Tapia was further damaging his boxer's prospects.

"I read those things ... it is a good read sometimes. It's like a comedy, something to laugh about, to be totally honest," Tua said.

"Sadly, trainers like that who do a lot of talk put so much pressure on their fighter to perform sometimes that it doesn't work out for them.

"What his trainer has done can get fighters hurt ... if that works for him so be it, but he's got to do a lot more than that to get under my skin. I've been in the limelight and enjoyed all those sorts of things but really, that sort of stuff just isn't me."

Tua said he was primed for the fight at West Auckland's Trusts Stadium, although it was vital that he get in top fight mode in the remaining days.

Tua believed he reconnected with the New Zealand audience through the brilliant two-round demolition of Cameron in Hamilton.

"We are entering the very important part where I could lose it - you can't get too relaxed or comfortable," he said.

"A lot of hard work has gone into this camp and you've got to keep the engine going.

"Every fight has its own motivation ... A week after the Cameron fight I was shopping and I could see from the corner of my eye a little boy staring at me as his mother tried to get him to stay away from the road.

"I went over and said hello and he said 'You're the Tuaman'.

"I said 'I hope so' ... and he said 'good fight'.

"That really hit me - I think there was a lost generation of supporters and something simple like meeting that kid was a very emotional encounter for me. The fight with Shane Cameron reignited my career in some ways. But you can't dwell on your last fight."

Tua, who praised the contribution of his imported sparring partners Israel Garcia and Harold Sconiers, said he was prepared to go the distance against Ahunanya.

"He is a counter puncher, he has a good jab and I think he is also a lot stronger than what his record shows. I know he is coming to fight," said Tua.

"I can't just worry about his jab. You have to look at the whole picture. I'm very aware of the type of fighter that he is and what he will bring.

"I'm well-prepared mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually. God willing on fight night, all will go well.

"The way the Cameron fight went just happened. It wasn't planned that way and I'm ready to go 12 rounds this time.

"This is a very important fight for me and needs to be approached with respect - I'm certainly not overlooking this guy. A loss would have a bad effect on my career.

"I believe my power is as good as it's ever been and my speed has picked up as I got older. I really believe the time I spent away from the ring did a lot of good things. The bright side is that my body didn't take a pounding. It served a purpose - my reflexes and speed are still there."

Source: nzherald.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment