Saturday 27 March 2010

Magical night for Hatton -- Sky Sports

Sky Sports

Matthew Hatton stepped out of the shadows of older brother Ricky by claiming the vacant European welterweight title with a points win over Gianluca Branco.

In the Ring With James J. JeffriesThe Mancunian, fighting at short notice, dominated after a shaky opening round at the Goresbrook Leisure Centre in Dagenham.

Having felt robbed on the scorecards against Lovemore N'dou last November, 'Magic' this time got the nod on the scorecards by a landslide.

All three judges gave it to the 28-year-old, the closest being a 115-113 scoreline. The other two had it 116-112 and 117-111 in Hatton's favour.

Fantastic
"It feels fantastic," he told Sky Sports afterwards. "I've had a lot of bad luck in my career but I always knew that I was capable of this.

"I always knew that if I stepped up in class I could do better. I can box better than that tonight but I'm very pleased to beat a world-class fighter.

"I was out-working him...I was boxing his ears off to be honest with you. When I was boxing and moving, he didn't lay a glove on me."

Hatton's victory means he follows in the footsteps of Miguel Angel Cotto and Artugo Gatti to become just the third man to beat the experienced Italian.

To do so he had to overcome a wobble in the opening round, a big right rocking him backwards a step or two towards the ropes.

But while his opponent looked to load up in an attempt to find a repeat of that punch, Hatton worked diligently behind the jab to open up a sizeable lead.

By the 11th Branco - sporting a badly swollen right eye as well as a small cut underneath it, knew that he needed a knockout. He marched forward and briefly found the Brit in the mood to stand toe-to-toe.

However a verbal volley from trainer Bob Shannon soon put Hatton back on the right path, allowing him to coast through the final three minutes.

Proud
Brother and promoter Ricky was delighted for his younger sibling, admitting he had almost lost his voice having been shouting instructions from his seat.

"Thank God that is over," he admitted afterwards. "I'm so proud.

"I know for a fact that he wanted to chuck the towel in a few years ago but I said to him 'listen, you're going to be a late bloomer. You've had no amateur experience really, stick at it and you're going to get your just rewards'.

"That's what he has done tonight. What a success story, because he's gone from maybe a six-to-eight round type to a European champion."

Source: skysports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment