Wednesday 3 March 2010

SHANE MOSLEY: “I LOVE TO FIGHT…HE ONLY FIGHTS FOR MONEY” -- FightHype

By Evan Korn, FightHype

“Mayweather’s name is ‘Money Mayweather’ for a reason. He only fights for money. Being that I’m the second option on the money, he had no choice but to fight me,” stated WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley as he spoke to the assembled media earlier today during the New York City press conference to announce his May 1 mega-bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. Check out what else he had to about Mayweather, the fight and much more.

Whether fighting Floyd is a “win-win” proposition:

“I think so. After sitting on the shelf for more than a year, I got kind of frustrated. I’m like, ‘why am I not getting these fights?’ I love to fight. I love to be in the gym and always training, so why am I not getting these fights? Everybody was matched up with everybody else, and they were afraid to get in the ring.”

“I’m the Welterweight champion of the world. Why am I struggling to get a fight? I didn’t understand. I didn’t know what to think.”

On why Mayweather took this fight:

“This is the biggest fight he has out there.”

Whether he was surprised that Mayweather took the fight:

“I was a little bit surprised, but Mayweather’s name is ‘Money Mayweather’ for a reason. He only fights for money. Being that I’m the second option on the money, he had no choice but to fight me.”

Is agreeing to blood testing your way of making a statement:

“I would have agreed to it in 2003 when {the BALCO scandal} happened. I would have agreed to a drug test before and after because the way I am, I don’t live my life that way. I live my life clean.”

“When you have bad people who come to your camp and want to try and improve you and do different things… then now there is a big blemish on my record and career from a mistake that an employee made.”

On dealing with ring rust:

“The way I counter all my ring rust is staying in the gym. I love to fight. I love to box.”

“This has been my sport for 30 years. This is what I know. This is what I live for.”

On whether he’ll call on Oscar De La Hoya for training help:

Oscar’s style probably doesn’t resemble Mayweather’s like mine. Probably, you’ll have to ask {trainer} Naazim {Richardson}, but it will probably be somebody similar to Mayweather in style that I’ll be using.

Source: newyork.fighthype.com

***


(Elie Seckbach Video)

No comments:

Post a Comment