Wednesday 3 March 2010

Mosley gets in Floyd's face -- Sky Sports

Sky Sports

Things got out of hand as Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather went toe-to-toe for their first pre-fight press conference, as a mass scuffle ensued in New York.

The two men met for the first time on their publicity tour in New York on Tuesday and the well-known animosity between the two threatened to get out of hand.

Whilst squaring off, the two men soon started jostling and soon members of both their entourage's rushed on the stage to drag the two fighters away from each other.

Fights involving Mayweather have often involved such fiery encounters, and although it could well be a staged scuffle to increase interest in the fight, there is clear animosity between the pair.

"Our noses touched," Mayweather said. "I don't like nothing but the ladies. I don't mind the trash talking but he grabbed my hands. I said, 'Don't put your hands on me.' I pushed him away."

Vegas showdown

They will get it on for real inside the ring on May 1 in Las Vegas, and both parties are keen to talk up the showdown after the proposed super fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao fell through.

Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions predicted around 3 million pay-per-views for the fight, and Mayweather was quick to hit out at Mosley for taking up his position with Oscar De La Hoya's company.

"He fought Oscar twice, now he works for Oscar," Mayweather said. "But only I make 40 million in 30 minutes. I gave 30 years of my life to my sport, to boxing."

"All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather. Oscar, Zab Judah and now Mosley...they all get their biggest paydays against Mayweather."

Mayweather is always keen to point out he is the biggest financial draw in boxing, but Mosley wants to prove he is the better fighter.

Chance

"It's been a long time since I got a chance to show the world that I'm the best fighter, and that's all that I really want, to be the best," Mosley said.

"I'm going to take my hat off to Mayweather, because I didn't think I was ever going to get a fight from any of these top fighters. He said, 'Yeah man, I'll take that challenge. I'll fight you."'

The promotional road show moves to Washington on Wednesday and Los Angeles on Thursday, with De La Hoya also predicting something special.

"This fight reminds me of back in the days of Sugar Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns, the fights we saw back in the day, the classic fights that brought boxing back," he said.

Source: skysports.com

***




No comments:

Post a Comment