Wednesday 3 March 2010

Mayweather: Don't touch me! -- ESPN STAR

ESPNSTAR.com

Bullish boxers Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley locked horns at their opening press conference.

In what may well have been a staged incident, the two fighters began to scuffle after Mosley put his hands on Mayweather when they posed for pictures head to head in Times Square, New York.

"Our noses touched," said Mayweather. "I don't like nothing but the ladies. I don't mind the trash talking but he grabbed my hands. I said, 'Don't put your hands on me.' I pushed him away."

Several members of both entourages were involved, with Mayweather's Lenny Ellerbe reported to have come off worst.

Once it was over, Mayweather focused on criticising Mosley for taking a position as vice president of Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.

"He fought Oscar twice, now he works for Oscar," added Mayweather. "But only I make $40 million in 30 minutes. I gave 30 years of my life to my sport, to boxing.

"All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather. Oscar, Zab Judah and now Mosley ... they all get their biggest paydays against Mayweather."

The sellf-styled "Money man" (40-0 25 KO's) then ominously predicted he will be at his best when he faces Mosley in Las Vegas on May 1.

"Ever since I came back to the sport I said I only wanted to fight the best and Shane Mosley is one of the best," said Mayweather, 33, who beat Juan Manuel Marquez in his last fight in Sepetember.

"Not only does he have the skills, but he is also fast, strong and a very tough competitor.

"But his speed and power won't mean much that night against my will and determination to dominate him inside the square circle.

"When I compete against the best, I am always at my best; so on May 1 the fans will see one great performance."

Five-time champion Mosley (46-5 39 KO's) is desperate to claim a sixth belt and prove he is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world after having ruled the lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight divisions over his storied 16-year career.

"I have always wanted to fight Floyd Mayweather and now that dream is finally coming true," said 38-year-old Mosley.

"Floyd is excellent at what he does, but my past record of beating the best competition and other great champions shows that he is just another one of my opponents I intend to beat.

"He has never faced anyone like me before and I think that will be a big factor on May 1 when I plan to show him just what it means to meet a true champion in the ring."

Source: espnstar.com

***

No comments:

Post a Comment