Thursday 12 November 2009

Amir Khan: I want to remain in the United States to work with Freddie Roach

By Gareth A Davies, telegraph.co.uk

"I want to fight here. After my title defence in Newcastle in December [the WBA light-welterweight title against Dimitriy Salita], I want fights in America," Khan said. "If I'm having three fights a year, I might as well stay over here."

Khan is in Las Vegas this week, at the side of trainer Freddie Roach, as he readies Manny Pacquiao for his assault on Miguel Cotto, and the prospect of a seventh world title in a seventh division.

But is the gym not big enough for two world champions? "It's not that there are too many world champions," Khan said. "It's that there aren't enough Freddie Roaches in here to go round. The problem is that we all have to share him."

Hatton ready to scratch itch?

News emerged on Wednesday that Ricky Hatton is finally "getting the itch back" having not fought since May, when he was poleaxed by Manny Pacquiao.

Hatton apparently got the buzz back after a guest appearance in the ring on World Wrestling Entertainment Raw. He says the fire in his belly – ahem, yes – has been rekindled. "Hearing that roar and seeing my fighters succeed, I might give it another go," Hatton said.

Behind the scenes, I understand that talks have been ongoing for some time for Hatton to make his comeback next summer, possibly against the Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez, beaten in his last outing by (a much heavier) Floyd Mayweather, at his finest.

What the negotiators on both side were apparently waiting for were positive signals from Hatton that he was ready to return to a ring regime. This could be it.

When it is announced, expect a torrent of debate and widespread misgivings about Hatton's return. I share those misgivings. The great British boxing hero has nothing to prove.

Quote of the week

“I don’t have a wife or kids, because I’m married to boxing. But I do have about 20 kids, who are my fighters. I’m in the Wild Card from 7am to 6pm 6 days a week looking after them.” - Freddie Roach

Source: telegraph.co.uk



Amir Khan and Freddie Roach
(Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00220/khan-trainer_220982s.jpg)





Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment