Wednesday 17 November 2010

Manny Pacquiao: Why The Pope should be looking to meet him -- Examiner

By Michael Marley, Examiner.com

I've been perched at ringside for a half century now starting with the second Liston-Ali fight.

I'm not ready to proclaim Manny Pacquiao as the greatest boxer I've ever seen but he is the greatest in other categories.

When it comes to Cassius Clay who became Muhammad Ali, my mind is frozen in my 12 year old idolizer phase.

POPE HAT VELOURAs a pure fighter, and he is all of that and a bag of balut, I rank Pacman as the second greatest boxer I've known and covered as a journalist, behind only Ali.

I now concede Pacman to be the greatest lefthander ever, not as slick defensively as a great such as Pernell Whitaker, but undoubtedly the most dynamic southpaw in any weight category in any era. (Much as I admired Whitaker's artistry for many, watching him was like watching paint dry.)

But, at this point, every head must bow, every tongue must confess that...

Pacquiao is the greatest entertainer ever inside the ring.

Pacquiao is the greatest humanitarian to be a boxing superstar.

Pacquiao is the most humble, sincerely humble, super hero the sport has ever had.

Pacquiao is the most compassionate warrior I've seen since an emotional Larry Holmes was begging the ref to halt his horrid mismatch against a lame, too old Ali at Caesars Palace.

Pacquiao's idol status among 92 million Filipinos is well recognized but now he's the most popular fighter in Mexico and in the United States, quite a trick when you mull it over.

Pacquiao is the most generous ring superstar, flying 300 of his friends and associates from Los Angeles to Dallas and back, to watch him work. They play, he works and he picks up the whole tab.

Pacquiao is now on a pedestal, on a par, with the likes of BOTH Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard. In terms of global impact, he has far eclipsed them and, again, everyone except for the uniersally influential Ali.

Muslims have taken and continue to take great pride in Ali's adoption and speechifying about their faith. That is understandable.

I share Manny's faith as a Roman Catholic.

If there is a country more predominantly Catholic than the Philippines, it eludes me.

If there is a famous ahtlete/entertainer who more embodies qualities of a good Catholic, then I don't know him or her.

Mayweather lashes out with a racist, infantile rant. Manny turns the other cheek, calls it "an unedcuated message."

Mayweather is jammed up with the Baby Mama drama criminal case, Manny says he "is praying for Floyd" in the situation.

I used to say that Manny needs to meet and greet the Holy Father, The Pope.

No more.

Now I say it's The Pope who needs to hook up with Pacquiao.

That would be a mitzvah for everybody, right, Bob Arum?

(mlcmarley@aol.com)

Source: examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment