Tuesday 4 May 2010

Pacquiao: I would've finished off Floyd -- Philippine Star

By Dino Maragay, philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines – If Manny Pacquiao were in Shane Mosley’s shoes in the second round of the latter’s fight with Floyd Mayweather last Sunday, the outcome would have been different, the Filipino ring icon said.

Speaking to veteran boxing scribe Michael Marley of examiner.com, Pacquiao gave his thoughts on the Mayweather-Mosley fight, particularly in the second round where Mosley had the champion in trouble with two vicious right straights.

The Wild Card: Hard-Fought Lessons from a Life in the Ring“I saw that (round two), I did,” Pacquiao told Marley. “If I can hit Mayweather like that, I will finish him off.”

Mayweather went wobbly from Mosley’s blows that he had to hold on to avoid getting knocked down. But the undefeated boxer from Grand Rapids, Michigan survived the second-round scare to administer a masterful beating on Mosley, cruising to a unanimous decision victory.

For his part, Pacquiao, currently the WBO welterweight champion, added that Mosley should have pressed the action harder until he knocks out Mayweather for good.

“I would continue the attack in a way that Mosley did not. I will attack until Mayweather is gone,” he said.

Asked about facing Pacquiao next, Mayweather reiterated his demand for an Olympic-style drug testing. Earlier negotiations for a Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight went down the drain when both camps failed to find common ground on the issue of drug testing.

“If you’re clean, take the test. I’m willing to take the test. Manny Pacquiao, take the blood and urine test and we can make the fight happen for all the fans,” Mayweather said in a post-fight interview.

Mayweather wanted random drug tests to be carried out until 14 days before the fight, but Pacquiao would only agree to do them 24 days prior to the bout.

This time, Pacquiao said he would only subject himself to random blood testing if the commission supervising the fight mandates him to.

“My message to Mayweather, to the world, is simple. I am not the lawmaker when it comes to the rules and regulations of any boxing commission. That is not my job or my duty. Neither is it Mayweather's unless he forms his own personal commission,” Pacquiao said.

“I will comply fully with whatever drug test, blood or urine, rules are specified by the commission of the place where this fight is arranged,” he added.

Pacquiao is currently in the thick of campaigning for a congressional seat in Sarangani province. Does he still crave for the Mayweather fight?

“Yes, I want Mayweather,” Pacquiao, 31, said.

Source: philstar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment