Tuesday 4 May 2010

Mormeck-Oquendo presser -- FightNews

FightNews.com

Former two-time world cruiserweight champion Jean-Marc Mormeck of France puts his climb up the heavyweight ranks on the line against veteran USBA and NABA heavyweight champion Fres Oquendo. The bout is being promoted by Mormeck’s J3M Management in association with Roy Jones, Jr.’s Square Ring Promotions on Thursday, May 6 in the Halle Carpentier Arena in Paris and will be televised over the Orange Network in France. The 37 year old Mormeck 34-3 (22 KOs), will be making his second appearance at heavyweight, having won a unanimous decision over tough American Vinny Maddalone on December 17, 2009.

At their final press conference this morning at Adidas’ flagship store on the Champs Elysées, Mormeck said, “I feel great, much better than the last time when I fought Maddalone and had injured my arm in training. My training camp was very good, and I am confidant going into this fight. As I said before, there is a big difference between Maddalone and a top 10 fighter like Oquendo, and perhaps I should have chosen an opponent somewhere in between, but I always get up for a challenge. Anyway, if I agreed to fight Oquendo, its because I know I can beat him.”

The Puerto Rican born Oquendo 32-5 (21 KOs), also 37 years old, won the USBA championship and defended his NABA title by retiring Demetrice King the 9th round this past February 20. He lost a controversial decision to Chris Byrd for the International Boxing Federation title on Sept. 20, 2003. In his very next fight on April 17, 2004, he was stopped by John Ruiz while ahead on the scorecards in the 11th round for the WBA title in Madison Square Garden.

“Jean-Marc is a great champion, one of the rare Europeans who made his name in recent years,” said Oquendo who now resides in Chicago, Ill. “It’s a privilege for me to fight him. His style reminds me of Mike Tyson and the legendary Joe Frazier. But this win over him will put me right back in the world title picture. I’ve come too far to lose now, and I’m certain of victory.”

(Photos by Square Ring)

Source: fightnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment