Wednesday 28 April 2010

"Sugar" Shane targets win double -- ESPN Star

ESPNStar.com

Shane Mosley says he'd give Floyd Mayweather Jr a rematch even if he didn't have to.

A clause in the contract for their eagerly-awaited Saturday showdown means Floyd Jr has the opportunity to demand a rematch if he loses his perfect pro record.

But Mosley says he'd give 'Money' another shot anyway as he wants to beat him twice.

'Sugar' Shane said: "Floyd is a great fighter and there are a lot of different things he can bring to the ring. But there are a lot of things I bring as well. On May 1 we are going to find out who the real chess player is.

"I think there is too big a deal being made about the fact that Floyd is undefeated. Before my first loss I was 38-0 with 35 KOs. That's a hell of a record, but that didn't mean I couldn't be beat and it doesn't mean Floyd can't either.

"It might be harder to fight someone who hasn't lost before because they really don't want to lose, but when you are fighting anyone on this level it's going to be tough. No-one wants to lose, so I don't think that is going to be an advantage for Mayweather.

"There is a clause in the contract that says Floyd gets a rematch if I beat him, but I would give him the rematch anyway, because it would be great to beat him twice."

The build-up to the bout has already featured plenty of Floyd Jr's usual brand of trash talk, but Mosley as ever refuses to get involved.

He said: "There are different personalities in boxing. Some guys like to talk a lot, but I'm not going to run my mouth just to do it. If I'm going to say something I'm going mean it. If it comes out of my mouth you know it's going to be heartfelt and it's going to be the truth."

The 38-year-old's career got a massive shot in the arm when he destroyed Antonio Margarito in his last bout in Los Angeles in January 2009.

And 'Sugar' gives a lot of the credit to Naazim Richardson, in his corner for the first time that night.

"Naazim has definitely re-energised my career," said Mosley.

"He is one of the hardest working trainers in the business. You can find him in the middle of the night watching films so that he knows the other fighter inside out. It's all about strategy with Naazim and I'm confident with him as my trainer going into this fight."

Richardson himself is already a massive Mosley fan, and only has one problem with his fighter - that his eagerness to fight the best costs him at the negotiating table. As well as the rematch clause, Shane agreed to Olympic-style drug testing for the Mayweather fight.

"I've said this to Shane, and I don't say anything behind my fighter's back that I wouldn't say to his face. I respect Shane. I love his approach as an athlete to his job and how he takes it on. I implore him to my heart as a friend, but I'll tell him to his face I think he's a poor negotiator.

"Shane wants to fight so bad he doesn't care. They could've convinced Shane that Roger (Mayweather, Floyd Jr's uncle and trainer) needs to be one of the judges. But Shane would've agreed to it because Shane just wants to fight.

"You can tell Shane 'look, you're going to have to tie one arm behind your back', and Shane's going to fight. 'We can hold it in Michigan in your backyard', and Shane wants to fight, so they're really a lot of hoops because Shane comes to the table already with the impression as long as we're fighting I don't care about anything else, tests or anything else of that nature."

Source: espnstar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment