Wednesday 21 April 2010

Shane Mosley Jabs at Media After Steroids Question -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

The usually calm Shane Mosley briefly gave in to an angry moment during a Tuesday conference call when he lashed out in response to a reporter's question concerning the Olympic style drug testing in correlation to his admitted steroid use in 2003, which he claims was inadvertent.

"It's ridiculous now that the media wants to make me the poster boy of steroids," said Mosley. "If you guys want to continue to put that out there, so be it. You guys know the truth."

Mosley has contended that he was initially unaware that the steroids, "the cream" and "the clear," which he admitted injecting, were illegal.

Mosley had obtained the drugs from BALCO founder Victor Conte through a relationship with his former trainer, Daryl Hudson.

"I've always been a clean fighter, and I've been knocking out everyone since 2003 and before 2003. I don't feel that I should be condemned for something that I never tested positive for. I just told the truth about what happened," said the 38-year-old Mosley (46-5, 39 knockouts), who will meet the undefeated 33-year-old Floyd Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) on May 1 at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"The truth was brought to me by the federal people that took me to court and who brought me up as a witness. So the truth was revealed to me there," said Mosley. "There's this man [Conte] that I had seen one time in my whole entire life, and at the deposition, that was the second time that I saw him."

In another development, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, whose company is promoting Mayweather-Mosley, said that the clash is a non-title bout.

"It looks like the fight will not be for Shane's WBA title," said Schaefer. "Floyd's not fighting for the WBA title, but Shane is."

It appears that Mosley will defend his WBA welterweight (147 pounds) crown, but only in victory. The situation developed because Mayweather did not pay the WBA's necessary sanctioning fee.

"I don't know what to think about that. Everybody grows up wanting to fight for a belt and wanting to be a world champion. For him to dismiss it like, 'Oh, I'm bigger than this belt,' that just doesn't seem like he's in this sport for the sport," said Mosley.

"He's in it just for the money. Which is good, I mean, if he's in it for the money, to each his own," said Mosley. "I love the glory and the legendary status of being a champion and winning belts, and beating the best guys out there. If you do that, then, the money's going to come regardless."

Mayweather, said Schaefer, can not win the crown, but it is unclear whether or not Mosley will have to vacate it in defeat.

"This is not a WBA championship fight. But on a separate side, we are currently discussing with the WBA, for Shane, that Shane would be defending his belt," said Schaefer. "But for the purpose of this call, it's basically a non-WBA fight. It's the two best fighters fighting each other, that's what's at stake here."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment