Thursday 29 April 2010

Roger Mayweather not worried about looming felony trial while training Floyd Mayweather -- Grand Rapids Press

By David Mayo, The Grand Rapids Press

LAS VEGAS -- Roger Mayweather expressed little concern about his impending felony trial here on battery charges involving a female boxer he once trained, saying he was the victim and did nothing wrong.

The uncle and trainer of Floyd Mayweather faces up to 10 years in prison at a trial scheduled Aug. 2 in Clark County District Court, exactly one year after the incident for which he faces charges of battery strangulation and battery causing substantial bodily harm.

"I haven't done anything," he said. "I don't have to say what happened. The police were right there.

"The bottom line is this -- it ain't about what I done, it's about what she done to me."

Mayweather was attempting to evict Melissa St. Vil from one of two condominiums he owns in the same area when the alleged altercation occurred.

In the police report, an officer said he saw Mayweather with his arms around St. Vil, restraining her, when he arrived.

St. Vil claimed Mayweather punched her several times in the ribs and "wrapped his hands around her throat, causing her to nearly pass out," the police report said.

Mayweather denied those claims and said he was assaulted by St. Vil, who struck him in the head with a lamp.

"The cops seen what happened," Mayweather said. "They know what happened. The nurse knows what happened, when they took pictures of my head. How did I get hurt? How did I wind up getting cut upside my head, if I did everything, quote, that she said I did?

"She hit me with a lamp on the head. Now, if a person hits me upside the head with a lamp, to be honest, I've got a right to kick their (expletive), if they hit me upside the head with a lamp. I didn't, but I've got a right to do it. If somebody hits me upside the head with a lamp and I didn't do nothing to them, I've got a right to defend myself. But I didn't, so I don't have to speak about what I done, because I didn't do nothing."

Mayweather said St. Vil was living without his permission in the condominium he was renting to another boxer, Cornelius Lock of Detroit. He said she was not a party to the lease.

"All I did was tell her to get out," he said. "Of course, she didn't want to get out.

"I ain't got to hide nothing, cover up nothing. That's what happened. That's all there is to it."

E-mail David Mayo: dmayo@grpress.com and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/David_Mayo

Source: mlive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment