Friday 23 April 2010

Mayweather shuns WBA belt -- Sky Sports

Sky Sports

The WBA welterweight title will not be on the line for Floyd Mayweather when he fights Shane Mosley after the 'Money Man' refused to pay their sanctioning fee.

Mayweather, already a five-weight world champion and former WBC and IBF welterweight title holder, takes on the current WBA champ Mosley in the early hours of May 2.

However, the unbeaten 33-year-old is no longer chasing titles, but merely looking to add to his legacy.

"I did not want to fight for the WBA title," Mayweather said. "At this point, it's all about enhancing my legacy.

"I've done a lot of things in this sport, things that a lot of fighters weren't able to do in the sport and didn't do in the sport. This fight with Shane Mosley will enhance my legacy."

And while Mayweather acknowledged Mosley as 'a solid welterweight with great accomplishments', he does not believes 'Sugar Shane' has the tools to destroy his unbeaten record.

"Like I have always said before - there is no remedy on how to beat Floyd Mayweather," he said. "Everyone is trying to solve the problem.

"It's like a difficult maths problem that no one can solve. No one can solve it. The ultimate goal is try to solve the problem. How to beat Floyd Mayweather? I know what I have to go out there and do."

Mosley, a three-weight champion and future Hall of Famer, is renowned for his hand and foot speed but Mayweather appears unconcerned by the challenge that stands before him.

"We are totally different," he added. "He's a fighter that always worries about landing one big shot, he worries about who is extremely strong.

"And I worry about being smart and winning. We approach fights in two totally different ways. When I shoot my shots, I am looking at my opponent. When Shane punches, a lot of times he closes his eyes.

"I am pretty sure Shane is going to be in good condition. We are going to put on one hell of a show on May 1 come the fight."

Source: skysports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment