Friday 23 April 2010

Mayweather shuns WBA belt ahead of Mosley fight -- CNN

CNN

(CNN) -- Floyd Mayweather will not be fighting Shane Mosley for a world title on May 1 after the "Money Man" refused to pay the World Boxing Association's sanctioning fee.

The five-time world champion takes on Mosley in Las Vegas on May 1 but insists his legacy is more important to him than fighting for "Sugar Shane's" welterweight title.

"I did not want to fight for the WBA title," Mayweather told Sky Sports. "At this point, it's all about enhancing my legacy.

"I've done a lot of things in this sport, things that a lot of fighters weren't able to do in the sport and didn't do in the sport. This fight with Shane Mosley will enhance my legacy."

Mayweather, 33, has won all 40 of his professional bouts and is a six-time world champion at five different weights.

His proposed "super fight" with WBO welterweight champ Manny Pacquiao broke down after a disagreement over drug testing procedures, and he opted to fight Mosely instead.

Mayweather referred to his opponent as "a solid welterweight with great accomplishments," but dismissed his chances of a victory at the MGM Grand.

"We are totally different," he added. "He's a fighter that always worries about landing one big shot, he worries about who is extremely strong.

"And I worry about being smart and winning. We approach fights in two totally different ways. When I shoot my shots, I am looking at my opponent. When Shane punches, a lot of times he closes his eyes.

"I am pretty sure Shane is going to be in good condition. We are going to put on one hell of a show on May 1 come the fight. Like I have always said before - there is no remedy on how to beat Floyd Mayweather. Everyone is trying to solve the problem.

"It's like a difficult maths problem that no one can solve. No one can solve it. The ultimate goal is try to solve the problem. How to beat Floyd Mayweather? I know what I have to go out there and do."

Source: edition.cnn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment