Friday 2 April 2010

Heavyweight champ David Haye promises "dramatic" Ruiz bout -- CNN

CNN.com

(CNN) -- WBA heavyweight boxing champion David Haye has promised a "dramatic" bout against American John Ruiz on Saturday night that will "shock" the watching public.

Haye, from London, is mounting the first defense of the title he took from Russian Nikolai Valuev in November 2009 when he faces veteran fighter Ruiz in Manchester.

Ruiz, 38, is a two-time heavyweight world champion, while Haye, 29, has only fought at heavyweight three times since stepping up from cruiserweight.

At the pre-fight press conference Haye told reporters: "I'm going to do something dramatic and people will be shocked. I expect a tough, grueling fight. John Ruiz is a tough guy and I know that.

Boxing's Ten Commandments: Essential Training for the Sweet Science"I don't believe there's anyone in the world that can take the punishment I'm willing to dish out for 12 rounds. They might be able to take three or four rounds but sooner or later it's going to sicken them."

Ruiz, who lives in Las Vegas, can join an elite pool of boxers if he regains the heavyweight title for a third time on Saturday. Only Muhammad Ali, Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis have ever claimed that feat in the history of the sport.

He has fought six times before in England and has won every time. "I'd like to keep my winning run going," he told the press conference.

"It's going to be a great opportunity for myself. It's going to be a great fight and I'm looking forward to it."

As for Haye's strong words Ruiz said: "I've heard it all before, it's nothing new to me. Many people have said they will knock me out or put me six feet under, but there's no need. Sooner or later after the talk is done you go and there and fight and that's what we're going to do."

Haye broke his right hand when fighting Valuev, who stands at over seven feett tall, but won a points decision to claim the title.

He says he won't be afraid to throw big right hands against Ruiz though: "By the time he [Ruiz] realizes I'm using my right hand he'll be unconscious," Haye said.

"I'm confident the experience I've got, even if it is half the experience he's got, is good enough to negate his tactics and game plan.

"It's often my opponent's plan to take me into the later rounds but the amount of damage that has accumulated on them means they don't hear the final bell."

Source: edition.cnn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment