Friday 2 April 2010

Bernard Hopkins and Artie Rabin Doing it 'Their Way' -- FanHouse


By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Bernard Hopkins vs Howard Eastman - Movie Poster - 11 x 17It was at the age of "probably 24 years old," that Bronx, N.Y., native Artie Rabin got his start in the garment business.

At the age of about 22, former Philadelphia street thug Bernard Hopkins began his professional boxing career after having emerged from a five-year stint in Pennsylvania's Graterford Prison.

Years later, each has accumulated millions of dollars worth of wealth by doing it, as they say, "Their way."

And on Saturday night, at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, the 68-year-old Rabin will be part of the ring walk of the 45-year-old Hopkins (50-5-1, 32 knockouts) as the former, two-time world champion rematches 41-year-old, four-time titlist, Roy Jones (54-6, 40 KOs).

Rabin will sing, "My Way," which was popularized by Frank Sinatra on his 1969 album by the same name, and later, covered by others, such as Elvis Presley.

Rabin will be accompanied by a three-member women's group, "The Sweet Inspirations," former back up singers for Presley, Aretha Franklin, The Bee Gees, Wilson Pickett, and others.

"I've had, like, four idols in my life, and Elvis Presley was a person I had followed from the time he went on the Jackie Gleason show, to the time he died, and I saw him many, many times in person," said Rabin, who owns New York City-based Kids Head Quarters Wear Me Apparrel, is part-owner of the New Jersey Nets, and owns several New York-area restaurants.

"I figured that if I'm going to sing, then I may as well go out there and get 'The Sweet Inspirations,'" said Rabin. "That should be a real, big coup by having those girls."

After meeting Hopkins eight months ago through a mutual friend, Rabin said that he invited the fighter to spend time with himself and his family at their New York vacation home in July.

"Bernard came out to the Hamdens this past summer for a weekend with his wife, and his daughter, and they spent about four days out there with us. We had a great weekend. My son was out there, my daughter, and my whole family. I have five grand children, and Bernard's very good with kids -- a real human being," said Rabin.

"So then, we're talking, and he says to me, 'How old are you?' So I kept on saying, 'I'm 39,' just kidding round. And I said, 'How old are you, champ?' and he said, 'I'm 45,'" said Rabin.

"And then, we were talking over the weekend, and all of a sudden he sees that I have a copy of 'My Way.' And he says to me, 'Hey, Artie, That's my favorite song,'" said Rabin. "And I said, 'Well, that's my favorite song too, but I only sing it at bar mitvahs and weddings.'"

That's when Hopkins' hatched the idea of Rabin and the ring walk.

"He says to me, 'Well, for the fight that I'm going to have, next year, you're going to be walking down the isle, singing 'My Way,' right before the fights,'" said Rabin. "And he said, 'I don't care if it's in Vegas or Atlantic City.'"

Their relationship grew from there, with Rabin, family members and several friends attending Hopkins' December unanimous decision victory over Enrique Ornelas in Philadelphia, and Hopkins being Rabin's guest at the NBA All-Star game at The Dallas Cobwoys' Stadium in Arlington.

"Bernard and I are similar in that he fights with his fists, and I fight with my knowledge of business," said Rabin, who calls himself, "A giver."

"I believe in charity work and always helping people out. I don't like to talk much about myself," said Rabin. "I like to be humble as much as I can."

Hopkins' nature, by contrast, is to boast about himself, particularly when a fight is approaching.

"Bernard Hopkins is the kind of person who, at 45 years old, he ain't giving up," said Rabin. "I very much respect that about him."

That's why Rabin will be singing his heart out on Saturday night.

"Everybody who hears about this is coming out for moral support. I've got 150 people coming out from Bangladesh, from Egypt, and from China, and, of course, from New York. They're all coming out for this great occasion," said Rabin.

"They all think that it's phenomenal," said Rabin. "Everyone can't believe that I'll be walking down and singing right before the fight. And, of course, they all want to see the champ [Hopkins] win."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

1 comment:

  1. Artie,
    You did great. I certainly got my $60.00 worth.
    The fights were great,too.
    Love,
    Marty Evans

    ReplyDelete