Thursday 15 April 2010

Hatton concedes he is lacking the hunger to fight again -- ESPN

ESPN.co.uk

Ricky Hatton has confessed that he is currently lacking the hunger to make a return to the ring - and that he does not know if the desire will ever come back.

The two-weight world champion announced in January that he intended to have at least one more fight in 2010, but he has failed to agree any bout - prompting reports that he was set to cancel his return.

Hatton, who has not fought since a defeat against Manny Pacquiao last May, has done nothing to dispel those rumours by admitting that he will only re-enter the ring if - and not when - the hunger returns.

"I'd hate to go into a training camp with my heart not fully in it and risk getting beaten by somebody who shouldn't be beating me," Hatton said. "So until that hunger comes back, that fire in the belly - that is when I will make my decision.

"One day I might come in the gym and say 'let's give it a go.' It's only been 10 months since the [Pacquiao] fight - I wouldn't really call that retirement. But, as any fighter will tell you, you have got to have that hunger to carry on with the training."

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has claimed Hatton has been offered the chance to fight Mexican veteran Juan Manuel Marquez, but The Hitman insists that no such proposal has been forthcoming.

"If it's been mentioned, it can only have been mentioned by Golden Boy and it has not been mentioned to me," he said. "I was as shocked as everybody else when I heard it. The fight has not been offered to me, so I don't know what more I can say about it."

Source: espn.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment