Wednesday 24 March 2010

Johnriel Casimero hoping to take light-flyweight title from Ivan Calderon -- Daily Post

By Martin Williams, dailypost.co.uk

I’M eagerly anticipating the WBO light flyweight match-up between the brilliant Ivan Calderon and Johnriel Casimero on May 29.

Many readers will know a little about Calderon, but Casimero has not yet made an impact on UK fans.

Having watched him knock out the hard-hitting Cesar Canchila in 11 rounds in December, I predict he will be in the pound-for-pound top 10 by Christmas if he defeats Puerto Rican Iron Boy, who is unbeaten in 34 fights.

Quick and powerful like fellow Filipino Manny Pacquiao, 20-year-old Casimero’s record stands at 14-0 (KO 8).

Aged 12 when he took up boxing, Casimero used to get into a lot of street fights.

He said: “One time I was fighting three guys at once. A boxing trainer saw me and asked if I was interested in becoming a boxer.”

Casimero is a former national amateur boxing champion. If he did not fight professionally, he would have wanted to become a policeman.

When asked who his dream opponent would be, he replied: “Ivan Calderon. I don’t think his defensive style will bother me.”

Christopher Pingping “The Sting” Tepura, a former pro boxer, trained Johnriel when he was already an eight-rounder. He praised Casimero’s work ethic and is confident of victory.

To be honest, when watching Casimero I was startled by his ability and can’t wait to see him box again. If anyone has a spare ticket for the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez show then let me know!

Source: dailypost.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment