Wednesday 24 March 2010

HAYE JIBES WON'T HURT RUIZ -- Daily Star

By Kevin Francis, dailystar.co.uk

JOHN Ruiz will not be forced on to the ropes by any of the cheap shots David Haye aims his way.

Ruiz challenges Haye for his WBA world heavyweight title at Manchester’s MEN Arena a week on Saturday.

Boxing's Ten Commandments: Essential Training for the Sweet ScienceAnd he insists that none of the mouthy remarks the ­British star may make will have any impact on him at all.

Haye famously got under the skin of Russian giant Nikolai Valuev in December ahead of the fight in which he won the world title.

However, Ruiz, known as ‘The Quiet Man’, said: “Whatever he says won’t bother me in the least. Words can’t knock you out.

“I know all about the kind of things that Haye says, but, in all honesty, he just can’t ruffle me and I will do my talking in the ring.”

Haye has already been angered by Ruiz’s failure to turn up and promote the fight when it was ­announced in January.

Hayemaker Productions paid £15,000 for first-class airline tickets and hotels for Ruiz and his team.

But Ruiz explained: “I didn’t want to break ­training in Las Vegas.

“I think the fans would rather I was ready for the fight than just turn up for interviews.”

The ­American hopes to produce the kind of ­performance that will put the heavyweight scene right back on the map.

Boxing Fitness: A Guide to Get Fighting Fit (Fitness Series)The 38-year-old said: “There was a time when the heavyweight division WAS boxing, but that is no longer the case these days. We need to get it back to those days.”

THE Haye-Ruiz fight will be screened live in HD on Sky Box Office.

AUDLEY HARRISON says he will retire if he fails to beat Michael Sprott for the European heavyweight title at Alexandra Palace, London, on April 9.

The former ­Olympic gold medallist, who lost to Sprott in 2007, said: “I’m calling this ­revenge or retirement.

“If I can’t get revenge over Sprott, then my career can’t go forward.”

Source: dailystar.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment