Saturday 20 March 2010

Haye wants to retire in 2011 as unified champion -- ESPN

ESPN.co.uk

David Haye has confirmed that he intends to retire from boxing in 2011, ideally as the unified champion of the heavyweight division.

The WBA heavyweight champion Haye must defeat Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko, who together hold all bar one of the division's belts, if he is to become the unified title holder. Fortunately for Haye, both of the Ukrainian brothers have stated their willingness to fight him.

"I've always said I'd be out of boxing by the time I am 31 and that comes next year. It gives me enough time to unify the division and I see no reason why I should fight on after I've reached that age," Haye told The Sun.

Haye's next opponent is the veteran John Ruiz on April 3, as he makes his first defence of the WBA title he won in November. If he wins that bout, he is unconcerned which of the Klitschkos he fights first - as long as he can face-off against both of them eventually.

"After Ruiz - and not for one moment I am underestimating the experience, aggression and sheer will to win he brings to the ring - I don't care whether it's Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko next," Haye said.

"One thing's for sure, those future fights will almost certainly happen in England or Germany. The Klitschkos keep telling everyone they are big in Germany, where I won the title against Valuev last November."

Haye, who is never reluctant to take a verbal swipe at a potential future opponent, aimed some disparaging remarks towards Wladimir.

"I've heard Wladimir has been saying I've a glass jaw. It's a bit rich coming from him considering the number of times he's been battered."

Source: espn.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment