Saturday 20 March 2010

David Haye ready for 'ugly slugfest' with John Ruiz to reach Klitschkos fight -- Mirror

By Nick Parkinson, Mirror.co.uk

David Haye is expecting a rough ride in his first world heavyweight title defence against John Ruiz on April 3.

The WBA champion is preparing for a range of dirty tricks from American Ruiz as he aims to stay on course for a world title unification clash against one of the Klitschko brothers, either Wladimir or WBC holder Vitali.

But Haye, 29, insists he is not looking past Ruiz, a former world champion whose only stoppage defeat was 14 years ago.

The Londoner is promising to be more aggressive against Ruiz, 38, than he was when he won the world title with a points win over Russian giant Nikolai Valuev in November.

He said: "I'm expecting to get a fight off Ruiz. He's got a new coach and I'm hearing that he's really fired up for me and has got a game plan.

"I'm expecting an ugly fight and I'm expecting him to try and butt me, hit me low and dislocate shoulders.

"I'm expecting all sorts of tricks from this man because he has been around a long time and is a seasoned pro.

"The only time he has been down was against David Tua a long time ago and that was just a freak. He has fought some big names like Evander Holyfield and Hasim Rahman and taken some big shots and they have not been able to get through.

"He's not as easy to hit as people think. People dismiss him and I know he's banking on me doing the same.

"He's always fit and the last man punching at the end of 12 rounds.

"He has got a way of nullifying opponents' attributes and I've not got to fall into that trap.

"But it won't be like my last fight. We will be able to have a slugfest because he's the same height as me so it will be a lot more exciting.

"I can go back to what I usually do which is throwing clusters of punches. He's not going to believe how quick I am."

Wbo-IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko, 33, faces American Eddie Chambers in front of 50,000 fans at the Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany tomorrow and a victory for the Ukrainian and Haye will set up the chance of a world title unification clash later this year.

But Haye will push for a fight against Klitschko to be staged in Britain after slamming German crowds as 'dull'.

Haye pulled out of fighting Wladimir in Germany in June due to a back injury and claims he will be in a stronger negotiating position, so long as he manages to see off Ruiz.

He added: "The big fighters for me are from eastern Europe so the fights will happen either in the UK or in Germany.

"Ideally I would love the fights to happen over here because everyone knows in Germany the atmosphere is just c** p and dull.

"I would hate to have one of my defining fights in front of a dull atmosphere and a load of boring Germans.

"If he fights me it will be on TV all over the world, not just in Germany, but he has got to realise that and take that into consideration when we sit around the table.

"I wasn't the champion last time but I am now. I just hope he recognises that when he comes to the negotiating table, otherwise it will not happen at all."

Source: mirror.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment