Friday 12 March 2010

Clottey aims to seize surprise world title chance -- Reuters

By Kieran Mulvaney, Reuters

DALLAS (Reuters) - The Cowboys Stadium stages its first big fight Saturday when Manny Pacquiao defends his WBO welterweight title against Ghana's Joshua Clottey.

The $1.2 billion arena, which opened last year, is home to the NFL's Dallas Cowboys and will be transformed into a boxing arena this weekend.

Most of the big-fight community had circled this weekend on their calendars as the date for a bout between the champion and American Floyd Mayweather Jr, considered the best pound for pound boxers in the world.

However, talks broke down in January when Pacquiao refused American Mayweather's demands for Olympic-style dope testing procedures.

The Filipino then turned to Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs), a relatively little-known fighter who last boxed when he lost to Miguel Cotto in June 2009.

"I never thought he would give me the chance," said Clottey. "When they called me I was surprised.

"I'm so happy, I'm so proud."

Despite being the late replacement and the underdog, the challenger has warned Pacquiao would be unwise to underestimate him.

"I am a very big welterweight," Clottey told reporters at the pre-fight news conference, contrasting himself with the champion who began his career 40 pounds under the welterweight limit.

PACQUIAO DISTRACTED

"I cannot wait for Saturday night," said the Ghanaian. "I want to see what Manny Pacquiao can do, whether he can hurt me with his punches."

Clottey believes Pacquiao's preparation has been distracted by the Mayweather issue and his bid to seek election on May 20 for the Congressional seat in the Philippine province of Sarangani.

"Pacquiao has three things on his mind now," said Clottey. "He has me, he has Mayweather and he has an election he wants to win. He has so many things on his mind."

The champion, though, said he was focused on the bout.

"Joshua Clottey is a very dangerous fighter," he said. "I cannot underestimate him, I have to remain focused."

Pacquiao believes a showdown with Mayweather will eventually happen despite the bad feeling between the two.

It is a match his trainer Freddie Roach also wants.

"I want us to fight him," he said. "I want us to knock him out then everybody will be happy."

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Source: ca.reuters.com

***




No comments:

Post a Comment