Saturday 27 February 2010

Manny Pacquiao: 'Maybe Floyd Mayweather is Afraid of Me' -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Friday's conference call with reporters was intended to promote seven-division champion, Manny Pacquiao's, March 13 defense against Joshua Clottey at The Dallas Cowboys' Stadium in Arlington, Tex.

But it seemed that from the opening caller, the WBO welterweight (147 pounds) titlist, his trainer, Freddie Roach, and their promoter, Bob Arum, spent an awful lot of time answering questions about Floyd Mayweather.

And each of the three participants took his best shot.

"Mayweather against Manny is a no-contest," said Arum, adding, "Manny would wipe the ring of Floyd Mayweather."

"Maybe he's afraid of me," said the 31-year-old Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 knockouts). "Or maybe he's not ready for this type of fight."

Negotiations for a multi-million dollar bout between Paquiao and Mayweather (40-0, 25 knockouts) fell apart over a drug-testing controversy.

Mayweather wanted random blood-testing in addition to urinalysis; Pacquiao did not want the blood-testing.

Pacquaio has filed a lawsuit charging defamation of character and seeking damages against Mayweather.

The suit goes after Mayweather's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., his uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, and Golden Boy Promotions' officials, Oscar De La Hoya, and, Richard Schaefer -- the president, and, CEO, respectively.

Golden Boy represented Mayweather in the negotiations with Pacquiao and Top Rank.

"We're not happy with their remarks," said Roach. "Manny really wants to fight him in the future."

Pacquiao said that he believes that the Mayweather camp, collectively, has accused him of using steroids, and that their actions originated from Floyd Mayweather Jr.

"What I believe is that Floyd Mayweather is not ready at this time to fight with me, or to face me. That's why he makes up some reason to cancel the fight," said Pacquiao.

Mayweather, who turned 33 on Feb. 24, is set to fight 38-year-old WBA welterweight super champion, Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), on May 1.

Pacquiao is set to face the 32-year-old Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs).

"I feel bad, and I feel disappointment because he's accusing me of using drugs and tried to ruin my name in boxing," said Pacquiao.

"I'm disappointed for what he's accusing me of. I really feel bad, but I'm not angry at him, because this is boxing," said Pacquiao. "People know that I'm always praying to God, and it's hard work" that accounts for his punching power.

Pacquiao said he and Mayweather (pictured at right) carry themselves differently.

"That's his style. We can not change that. We are different. Some fighters, like me, we can be the greatest fighter without saying curse words," said Pacquiao.

"But his style is talking a lot of trash talk," said Pacquiao. "To be known as Mayweather is, like that, and to be known as that type of champion -- it's not a good example for everybody."

Although Pacquiao's voice didn't resonate outward ire, Roach said there is a simmering ire within the fighter which occasionally bubbles to the surface during training sessions.

"It's the first time I've seen Manny doing something like this. Like, sometimes, when he's shadowboxing, he shows me how Mayweather fights and how he's going to take care of the problem," said Roach.

"I've never seen Manny do that before," said Roach. "And Manny, he feels like they tried to ruin our reputation and so forth, and we do want to fight [Mayweather,] and we will knock him out."

"And we'll knock him out in the court, also," said Arum. "That lawsuit continues on, and justice will prevail."

A three-time Fighter Of The Year, Pacquiao said that if he never meets Mayweather in the ring, he can retire knowing that he has had a great career.

"For me, what I have achieved in boxing is good enough for me," said Pacquiao, who was named Fighter Of The Decade.

"People know that comparing my achievements in boxing to [Mayweather's] achievements, I'm satisfied."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

***




No comments:

Post a Comment