Tuesday 29 December 2009

Young Hatton on standby for Mayweather Jnr -- Manchester Evening News

By Gavin Browne, Manchester Evening News

MATTHEW Hatton has told of his shock and surprise at being linked with a possible fight against Floyd Mayweather Jnr.

Having drawn his IBO welterweight title challenge against Lovemore N'Dou, the younger Hatton found himself at the centre of speculation linking him with a Mayweather meeting.

The American had been due to fight Manny Pacquiao but that appears in doubt with rows over drug testing and possible legal action by Pacquiao against the Mayweather camp.

As a result, the rumour mill has gone into overdrive with stories that 'Magic' is in line to face Mayweather, acknowledged as the sport's pound-for-pound king and the first man to beat elder brother Ricky.

"It was very surprising to be linked with him," admitted Hatton.

"I was at a friend's party when Gareth Williams from my promotional company phoned and said that Golden Boy Promotions wanted to know if I'd be interested in fighting Floyd.

"I asked him if he was being serious but Floyd's very keen on fighting in England and they asked if I'd be up for it.

"I didn't have to think about it for one second. I think it's unlikely but if the Pacquiao fight doesn't come off I'm at the top of their list of opponents.

"I'm pretty sure things would get sorted between Floyd and Manny but Floyd's camp have been in touch two or three times with mine.

"I won't get carried away though at the prospect of fighting him in case it doesn't come off but he's the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world and to share a ring with him would be amazing."

Should the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps come to an agreement, Hatton is keen on a rematch with N'Dou during 2010.

Having initially ruled out any prospect of facing N'Dou following their contentious draw, `Magic' has subsequently relented.

He said: "Ideally I'd like to fight him again because no matter what the judges say, I know I beat him on the night.

"I know I said I wouldn't travel to South Africa or Australia because I wouldn't get the decision but I know I've got the beating of him."

Source: manchestereveningnews.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment