Sunday 6 December 2009

Ricky Hatton ponders one last hurrah with 2010 farewell fight -- Mail Online

By Peter Higgs, Mail Online

Ricky Hatton will return for one fight only if he confirms his decision on his comeback early in the New Year.

The 31-year-old former light-welterweight world champion is seriously contemplating a farewell appearance simply to remove the shame of his last defeat, a two-round knockout against Manny Pacquiao in May.

Britain’s most popular boxer was so embarrassed by the manner of the Las Vegas loss that he wants to give his thousands of fans one last, happy memory before hanging up his gloves.

Despite the clamour of disapproval which he knows will come with his return to the ring, Hatton will place his trust in those close to him before making his final decision — and does not care what critics have to say on the matter.

Only another boxer would know why I’m thinking about having another fight,’ said Hatton.

‘It was embarrassing for me what happened against Pacquiao. There were things that went on in my training camp that affected that fight and I will talk to the people who know.

‘I’m not going to take any notice of those people who say I should never go back in the ring because they do not know me and they do not know what has gone on in the background.

‘I’ve heard the warnings about boxers going on too long and risking long-term damage. But I’m not coming back for five fights or anything like that. If I decide to come back it will be for one fight.’

Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez remains the most likely opponent, while a match against Amir Khan in a big-money showdown is unlikely.

Khan’s trainer Freddie Roach has been talking up the fight, but Hatton, looking for a comfortable farewell, is unlikely to be tempted.

With about £30million in the bank, he does not need the money.

Source: dailymail.co.uk





Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment