Sunday 6 December 2009

Khan - this sends a message -- Sky Sports

Sky Sports

Amir Khan believes his sensational 76-second stoppage of Dmitriy Salita will help propel him to the forefront of world boxing.

The Bolton star retained his WBA light-welterweight world title in Newcastle on Saturday night against the unbeaten mandatory challenger in the best possible fashion.

Khan told Sky Sports News on Sunday: "I'm sure it sent a good message across the world. This fight wasn't picked, I had to fight this guy because he was a mandatory (challenger). If I didn't fight him then the title would have been vacant, but I took this fight on.

"Frank (Warren) was saying in the press conference he wouldn't have taken this fight on because he is an unbeaten guy and a bit dangerous.

"But all the hard work was done in the gym, the Wildcard boxing gym, and I was so confident I could go in and take this guy out. I put the game plan together with (trainer) Freddie Roach, went into the fight and took him out.

"I was very confident, my speed and power have come on so much and I can seee myself becoming an all-round fighter.

"A lot of people know how fast I am and expect me to be quick, but when they get into the boxing ring they don't know what's hit them. Salita didn't know he hit the floor, that's how quick the shots hit him."

Khan expects his next defence to be in March and he plans to prepare for it by sparring with Manny Pacquiao - the world's best pound-for-pound fighter and also part of Roach's Wildcard gym in Los Angeles.

Khan added: "I am going to go back there and hopefully I am looking at fighting in March some time, because Manny will be fighting against (Floyd) Mayweather around that time so it would be good for me to fight around that time too.

"Freddie wants me to be his main sparring partner. Not only his sparring partner, Freddie says it will be good for both of us because I am a world champion now and the last time I sparred with Manny was about a year ago, so just to see how much I have come on as well.

"And I think I have come on so much since. It is going to be great working alongside Manny Pacquiao."

Source: skysports.com





Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment