Sunday 29 November 2009

DON'T LET RICKY HATTON FIGHT AGAIN

By Steve Lillis, News of the World

AMIR KHAN wants to ambush Ricky Hatton's comeback fight by getting his fists on Juan Manuel Marquez before his pal.

WBA light-welterweight champion Khan knows that defeating the Mexican superstar will help make him the next face of boxing, but it could cause a rift with 'The Hitman'.

Khan, 22, makes the first defence of his world crown against New Yorker Dmitry Salita at Newcastle's Metro FM Arena on Saturday, and will then turn his attention to the three-weight world champion.

Hatton is in talks to box Marquez next summer, but Khan's promoter Frank Warren dismisses that fight.

He told Sport of the World: "Hatton can get fit, lose weight but cannot avoid shots any more.

"He should be prevented from boxing anyone, let alone Marquez."

Concerns

Khan's gym-mate Manny Pacquiao brutally knocked out Hatton in May, and there are understandable concerns about him boxing again.

Khan told Hatton to set his sights lower than Marquez, adding: "I thought Ricky might come back and have one easy fight just to get rid of the flashbacks. Fighting Marquez straightaway will be tough.

"It is my mission to fight men like Marquez and that would be my dream fight in America.

"I think he is made for my style and if I beat Marquez, it would make my name a lot bigger and people will start knowing who Amir Khan is in the States."

Khan's desire to fight in America has led to speculation that he might quit Warren's stable, despite the promoter resurrecting his career after his sole loss to Breidis Prescott 15 months ago and making him a millionaire.

American promoters Golden Boy were smooching up to Khan recently in Las Vegas and Bob Arum was gushing in his praise.

Khan has also followed the lead of Hatton and formed his own promotional company, and plans to invest in upcoming boxers.

He says: "I will see how this fight goes and then we will see where we are.

"I think Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton left it a bit late going to America but I want to go early, take it smoothly and pick the right fights."

Khan moved his training base to Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood after his 54-second loss to Colombian KO king Prescott.

Training in Tinseltown has been far from glamorous, but the sparring partners have been A-listers like Pacquiao and outrageously talented 17-year-old sensation Jose Benavidez.

Most nights Khan has gone to bed in agony having been involved in some of the hardest training imaginable under Roach and hard-line conditioner Alex Ariza.

Limit

Khan, who is considering living in Los Angeles permanently, said: "I go back to the apartment tired and suffering from muscle fatigue because I push myself to the limit.

KHAN: Wants to crack the States"I am one of those fighters who treat sparring sessions like a fight and give my all. I'm not one who takes it easy and just gets through the rounds.

"It doesn't matter if I am sparring ten or 12 rounds, I will push myself so much that when I finish sparring I can't punch any more and I'm totally finished."

Roach admits: "We spar really hard and we fight. The only rule in my gym is if you hurt somebody, you don't finish them."

Salita, 27, is unbeaten in 31 fights - the only blemish a draw with Ramon Montana when the Jewish slugger was floored twice in the first round.

And although he is Khan's mandatory contender, Ukraine-born Salita hasn't beaten a world-class fighter and a quick-fire Khan win is possible.

Roach says: "Salita doesn't do anything special, but is good all round. I think our speed and power will be too much."

* Khan v Salita is live and in high definition on Sky Box Office on Saturday 5 December. To order the fight call: 08442 410 888. For tickets visit: http://www.metroradioarena.com/

Source: newsoftheworld.co.uk




Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment