Sunday 29 November 2009

AMIR KHAN: I'M READY FOR MARQUEZ

By Nick Parkinson, Daily Star

AMIR KHAN wants to upset Ricky Hatton’s comeback plans by getting in first to face Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez next year.

Khan makes the fi rst defence of his WBA light-welterweight title against New Yorker Dmitriy Salita in Newcastle on Saturday.

It is believed to be the fi rst world title fight between a muslim and an orthodox jew.

But next year, the Bolton boxer intends to launch his career in the States, where he already prepares for his bouts in Los Angeles with the world’s leading trainer Freddie Roach.

And Khan, 22, sees former world featherweight, super-featherweight and light-weight world champion Marquez as the ideal opponent for an American debut.

Marquez, 36, has been linked to a fight against Hatton next summer and the Manchester hero’s team has already spoken to the Mexican’s representatives about a possible clash.

Hatton, 31, has not boxed since being flattened by Khan’s gym-mate Manny Pacquiao.

But Khan has emerged as a threat to Hatton’s comeback plans by declaring his intention to fight Marquez after his Salita scrap.

He said: “I just want to get this fi ght over with, have a holiday, then see where we go from there.

“Marcos Maidana will be the next mandatory challenger if I beat Salita.

“My boxing’s getting better and better and my training’s getting tougher. My mission is to fight people like Marquez. It would be tough for Ricky to come straight back to fight Marquez.

“My dream is to fi ght in the States. I’m 23 next year and that’s the right time to go.

“I don’t want to go there too late. I think Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton left it a bit late but I want to go early and take it smoothly.

“My promoter Frank Warren has picked the right fi ghts for me so far.”

Khan has worked with Warren since winning a silver medal at the 2004 Olympics aged 17.

And Warren agrees Khan is ready for his American dream – and that Khan-Marquez would be a better fight than Hatton-Marquez.

He said: “Without a doubt Amir against Marquez is a better fi ght than Hatton against Marquez.

“This is a mandatory defence against Salita. It is a fi ght that has been forced upon us. But this is a fi ght Amir needs, to take him where he wants to be.

“If he does win this he will go on to some bigger and better things. He can go on to achieve what Manny Pacquiao has done and also become one of the most successful-ever British fighters.

“I agree with Amir – every good fi ghter wants to go to America to fi ght in Las Vegas and Madison Square Garden.

“But if Amir does have a fi ght or two next year in the States, it’s important he goes out there with a reputation that will generate a big gate and income.”

Roach, who successfully predicted Pacquiao would KO Hatton and Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto earlier this month, expects Khan to stop Salita.

He said: “I have a lot of confi dence in my fighters because I know where they’re at.

“Amir will knock this guy out somewhere along the way. We’re working hard.

“Amir’s getting better and better and becoming a more complete fighter.”

Source: dailystar.co.uk




Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment