Thursday 8 October 2009

Pound-for-pound Best, Manny or Floyd: Late Mails from Boxing Scribes

By BoxingNewsWorld.blogspot.com

Here are the late responses I received from boxing writers on my pound-for-pound best poll:


Mario Ortega

“Manny Pacquiao. You can't leave the sport for over a year and be placed back right at number one. Mayweather is still the best active boxer, but Manny has earned the spot with his recent activity, level of competition, and success.”

(Manny – 29; Floyd – 23)


Brandon Estrict

“Mr. Pacquiao is a great fighter and seems to have the bigger stones of the two, but talent-wise (which I believe is the way to judge any pound-for-pound ranking system when you've got guys of every weight involved who obviously wouldn't match up evenly in the ring) Floyd Mayweather is my number 1 guy. It's simple, he retired atop the pound-for-pound list and upon his return, all he had to demonstrate to me to regain his crown was that he hadn't lost much as far as his in-ring ability goes, and if nothing else, he more than answered that question by dominating Mr. Marquez.”

(Manny – 29; Floyd – 24)


Aaron Screen

“I can definitely see both sides of the argument for either Manny or Floyd - both deserve to be crowned pound for pound based on their merits. But in boxing there can only be one (pound-for-pound champ). Rather than "sit on the fence" and if you insist I MUST choose one then I would pick Floyd, I can fully understand people disagreeing with this decision but I stand by my decision although I have to admit that I am maybe slightly biased for two reasons. Firstly, because I believe that Floyd would defeat Manny if the two ever do battle. Whilst I accept (that) it may be uncomfortable for Mayweather at times, I strongly believe that Floyd has solved far trickier puzzles than Pacquiao. Secondly, my favorite current fighter is Mayweather, which makes it hard for me to pick against him. I understand that this shouldn’t cloud my judgment in deciding pound for pound but again Mayweather is my number one. Undefeated. Defensive Genius. Lightening Quick. Mentally strong. All these superlatives make it impossible for me to pick Manny over him, even though when considering their recent common foes Pacquiao wins 2-1 in terms of who was the most impressive (He defeated Hatton and De Hoya more impressively). Mayweather fans would argue he beat Marquez more impressively and defeated Hatton and De La Hoya before Manny. But I need to stop myself now before I get in too deep. Long story short - P4P = Floyd.”

(Manny – 29; Floyd – 25)


Amy Green

“My pick for best pound for pound has to be Floyd Mayweather Jr. Although Pacquiao is exciting, Floyd is the more complete fighter- his punches are more precise, his speed is greater, his defense is great and he is just the more thinking fighter. Manny is a daredevil, and Floyd is no less thrilling but more calculated. I admire both fighters greatly but Floyd just possesses the skills from birth while Manny continues to be Freddie Roach's work in progress.”

(Manny – 29; Floyd – 26)


Richard Cloutier

“Pound for pound best: Floyd Mayweather Jr. He’s too complete.”

(Manny – 29; Floyd – 27)


***

Manny still leads Floyd by two writer votes.

Marshall N. B.
Boxing Fan

Related articles:

Majority of Boxing Writers Say Manny Pacquiao is the best boxer pound-for-pound

Some Comments on 'Majority of Boxing Writers Say Manny Pacquiao is the best boxer pound-for-pound'

No comments:

Post a Comment