Wednesday 15 June 2011

Pacquiao pushes P125 wage increase -- Manila Bulletin

By RIO ROSE RIBAYA, Manila Bulletin

MANILA, Philippines — Filipino boxing champion Manny Pacquiao Tuesday co-authored a bill seeking for a legislated P125 across-the-board wage hike, assuring his fans who are mostly Filipino workers that he would lobby the measure to get the support of his fellow congressmen.

Pacquiao, who used to work as a construction worker and janitor before rising to become a boxing sensation, signed House Bill No. 375 in support to labor group Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) and party-list Anakpawis pushing for wage increase for workers.

“Before I reached where I am now, I became an ordinary worker. I worked in utility as a janitor. I accepted the job even if the salary is very little so that my family can eat. I also worked as a construction worker. I even sold sampaguita (flowers) on the streets,” Pacquiao said.

“You can count on my support. My life was not easy. I want to let the workers know that I understand what they have been fighting for the right to a living wage, which is provided for in the Constitution,” the Sarangani legislator added.

Pacquiao, who supported the Church in expressing opposition against the reproductive health (RH) bill, explained that the minimum wage rates in the country have been stuck in the standards of the pas after being overcome by recent increases in food, fuel, and transportation prices.

He expressed confidence that employers managing different kind of businesses can withstand and survive a legislated across-the-board wage increase, rejecting that the measure would make them bankrupt.

“That is what they always tell to discourage the workers in getting wage increases. I am hiring many employees, each of them is happy with the compensation and I am not complaining. The P125 across-the-board wage hike is not too much to ask, it’s just fair,” he stressed.

Source: mb.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment