Friday 20 May 2011

Khan disapproves of Haye's disrespectful conduct -- ESPN

ESPN.co.uk

Amir Khan: A Boy from Bolton: My StoryAmir Khan has urged David Haye to stop disrespecting Wladimir Klitschko ahead of the Brit's world heavyweight title encounter later this year.

Khan is a big fan of Haye, but he admits it has been difficult to watch his compatriot in the build-up to the July 2 bout. The Hayemaker has repeatedly refused to shake Klitschko's hand, preferring instead to belittle the Ukrainian's ability as a boxer.

While Klitschko has appeared relaxed and jovial, Haye has remained serious and dismissive of his rival, insisting he bores opponents into defeat. Khan would prefer it if Haye left his talking until fight night.

"I would never do that," Khan said in the Daily Mirror. "I have always tried to be respectful to my opponents.

"David should leave that kind of stuff for the ring but I suppose he wanted to show that he was not scared of this guy who was so much bigger than him.

"Everyone's different but I never go into a ring hating my opponent. I'd make mistakes."

Khan's own situation sees him attempting to lure Timothy Bradley into a light-welterweight unification bout, although financial disagreements could see the encounter fail to materialise. One man Khan will never face, despite misquoted comments from coach Freddie Roach, is Manny Pacquiao.

"If you are going to be the best, you have to fight the best," Khan said."I want to fight at the elite level to show people how good I am and I have the tools to beat [Floyd] Mayweather.

"I'm faster than him and I have a better punch, but he is technically brilliant and very smart. Those qualities will come to me in time, especially as I have the best trainer in the world in Freddie Roach. I think Mayweather will happen in 2012.

"But there will never be a fight between Manny and me. We respect each other too much. It just wouldn't feel right."

Source: espn.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment