Sunday 22 May 2011

"I couldn't bet on that fight"- Shane Mosley's quick take on Pacquiao-Mayweather -- Examiner

By Chris Robinson, Examiner.com



On May 7th Shane Mosley suffered what very well could have been his most humbling night as a professional when he was shut down over twelve dismal rounds by WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao. Outside of a third round knockdown by Pacquiao and a tenth round knockdown by Mosley that was later viewed to be a push, the fight was void of any real drama or intrigue as Shane looked every bit his 39 years of age.

But Mosley is far from a sorrowful soul, having just deposited $5 million plus in the bank for his outing against Pacquiao, and recently made an appearance on George Lopez's Lopez Tonight to discuss his loss to Pacquiao as well as what the future may hold for him. All smiles as is often the case with him, Mosley opened up his conversation with Lopez in boring fashion by answering why some athletes shave their chest as well as his time flying a personal jet owned by his friend that he flew into Las Vegas for the fight earlier this month.

Getting to the meat and potatoes of his recent life, Mosley went in-depth on his fight with Pacquiao, specifically the third round where he suffered that aforementioned knockdown.

"When he hit me the first time I said 'Wow, this little guy hits pretty hard'," Mosley said of the Filipino star. "I went down in the third round and it seemed like a little shot and when I went down I was thinking 'Wow, he didn't really hit me hard'. But later on when the bell rang I went back to my corner, got some water, and I looked up and I asked what round it was. It was the sixth round. I lost track of three rounds."

Lopez then brought up enigmatic superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr., whom defeated Mosley convincingly himself a year ago. Pacquiao and Mayweather have been linked together as possible opponents for a few years now and Mosley was asked to compare the two.

"Pacquiao hits harder," Shane said, giving a response that elicited some boos from the crowd. "But Mayweather's got him on the boxing skills. The thing with Pacquiao, he's a great fighter, he throws good punches and everything but its more of his punch. He doesn't throw from far back, but his punches are there. Mayweather is a good defensive fighter and it's kind of hard finding him in there."

As far as giving a prediction of an eventual meeting between the two, Mosley seemed at a loss.

"I really don't know. The reason why I say this is because I think Mayweather can outpoint him but it's a 50-50 chance that he won't get hit. If he gets hit there could be some problems. I couldn't bet on that fight. I wouldn't bet on it," an honest Mosley claimed.

Getting more serious, Mosley was asked just how much longer he intended on fighting. Shane's career has seen him win some memorable battles from 135 to 154 pounds while collecting multiple championships and facing a who's who of formidable opponents. But nothing lasts forever and Mosley seemed to hint that the end may just be around the corner.

"As I get closer, I used to look at the exit door and it was kind of blurry, now I look at the exit door and it's becoming more clear. So I may be looking towards that exit door. Maybe if there's a Margarito or a Cotto who wants to get in there and fight, maybe I'll take that fight, but other than that, I'll probably leave it alone."

Lopez almost made sure to bring up Mosley's head-turning girlfriend, Cuban model Bella Gonzalez. Lopez asked Shane just how hard it was to stay away from any intimacy with the 21-year old vixen prior to the bout and Mosley's response was candid as ever.

"I definitely have to stay away from that type of strenuous activity before the fight. But after the fight, we're good."

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment