Monday 13 December 2010

Amir Khan heading towards showdown with Floyd Mayweather -- Guardian

By Kevin Mitchell, guardian.co.uk

There is a groundswell of opinion moving Amir Khan into the tricky arms of Floyd Mayweather, possibly in Las Vegas in July, the second slot reserved for the Bolton fighter next year by his American agents, Golden Boy Promotions.

It is a giant "if", of course, seeing Mayweather is not even certain to be at large after a court appearance next month to answer domestic violence charges.

But, after his extraordinary win over the Argentinian Marcos Maidana at the Mandalay Bay on Saturday night to hang on to his WBA light-welterweight title, Khan is the hottest property in boxing outside his friend Manny Pacquiao and the slumbering heavyweights, among them David Haye and the Klitschko brothers.

Decision PointsHis trainer, Freddie Roach, says he wants Mayweather after Khan's next fight, which is scheduled for London on 16 April, possibly as a curtain raiser for Haye against Wladimir Klitschko in a heavyweight title unification fight in Las Vegas later that evening. There is much horse-trading to do before the rival promoters get to that stage, though. Khan, meanwhile, is oblivious to the fuss.

The scars of battle do not seem to run deep in his young psyche. Although he was roughed up around his face from the sledgehammer blows the Argentinian rained down on him, the champion later declared no lasting pain from what to the voyeurs present was a fight from hell.

His good friend Naseem Hamed, who had a couple of good wars himself, said he felt guilty about celebrating Khan's win, as he did not want him to suffer like that again. His trainer Freddie Roach admitted he momentarily considered throwing in the towel when Khan reeled like a Saturday night drunk in the 10th round. David Haye, the world heavyweight champion, could hardly believe his little pal came through it.

Alone among everyone who witnessed it, though, the fighter reckoned the day after that he was never in deep trouble, not even in that horrendous 10th session, which is destined to live in the archives as further proof of man's ability to both inflict and suffer extraordinary pain in the name of entertainment and sport.

While visual evidence suggested he was as close to disaster as it is possible to get without being rendered unconscious Khan said the following day over orange juice and fruit salad: "I thought I won the fight convincingly. I was hitting him with the cleaner shots. He was hitting a lot of his own shots on my defence.

"I think the best round he had was the 10th. But, you know what? He hit me with his best shots and he didn't hurt me. Even when he caught me with that first shot in the 10th round, I knew exactly where I was.

"We all know he's got devastating power. Look what he's done to 27 opponents. But I just kept cool. I remember in the early days when I got clipped I used to panic. Not now. I compose myself. I went back to the ropes, with my hands up and I saw what he was doing. He caught me two or three times after that, but he didn't hurt me.

"I knew he was going to slow down, that he only had another few little bursts in him. I knew after that he was going to be tired out, and I would control the round again. The last 20 or 30 seconds of the round my legs were fine and I was fine.

"I spoke to the referee in the changing room beforehand and he said, 'You can stand there taking shots until I think you've taken too many unanswered shots.' But in the 10th round, I felt okay. I didn't once feel I was gone. I think the whole fight will make my reputation in the States, and the 10th round especially. I took shots and I came back."

He's right on the last point. Punters will flock to see more of the same. Whether it is good for his longevity is doubtful - and Roach, surely, will not let it happen again. The warrior surfaced in Khan on Saturday night; he needs to be reintroduced to the cool, clinical boxer if he is to have any hope against the likes of Mayweather.

Source: guardian.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment