Sunday 14 November 2010

Pacquiao, Margarito Camps to Monitor Pre-Fight Hand Wrapping -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- Manny Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach has assigned assistant Billy Keane to be in the dressing room of Antonio Margarito from beginning to end. Roach will be there as well to watch Margarito's trainer, Robert Garcia, wrap his fighter's hands prior to Saturday night's bout for the WBC junior welterweight crown at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, Garcia confirmed to FanHouse.

White Mountain Puzzles Cowboy's StadiumThe 32-year-old Margarito (38-6, 27 knockouts) will meet 31-year-old southpaw WBO welterweight king Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs) in a clash for the 154-pound title belt as Pacquiao pursues his eighth title in as many different weight classes, his 13th straight victory and his ninth knockout during that run.

Prior to his knockout loss to Shane Mosley that dethroned him as WBO welterweight titlist, Margarito was found to have a plaster-like substance in his gloves which resulted in his being suspended by the California State Athletic Commission a month later.

Margarito, who has blamed then-trainer, Javier Capetillo and claims no knowledge of the illegal wrappings, made two, failed attempts to have his license renewed in California before being granted one in Texas in August, setting up his clash with Pacquiao.

Garcia said that he will also have a member of his camp in the dressing room of Pacquiao, whom Garcia said that he has been told wraps his own hands by Roach.

"I think that we're going to wrap the hands at the same time. We're going to wrap the hands at about 9 p.m. So I'll be wrapping at 9 p.m., and Freddie's going to be in my dressing room," said Garcia.

"I'm going to send somebody to their dressing room because I was told by Freddie that Manny wraps his own hands," said Garcia."So I'll probably send my assistant, Francisco Navarro, over to their dressing room, or maybe even Francisco Espinoza, Margarito's manager."

Garcia said that the special requirement does not bother him.

"Freddie says that he needs to have two people there during the hand-wrap situation, so you know, that's no problem. He could have his whole team there if he wants to. Whatever happened at the Mosley fight I was not a part of," said Garcia.

"I've always done a great job with my fighters and the commissions have always told me that I've done some of the best wrapping that they've ever seen," said Garcia. "So I hope that Freddie's going to have his eyes wide open, but I think that he's going to say the same thing because I do a pretty good job."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment