Thursday 11 November 2010

Manny Pacquiao versus Antonio Margarito: Margarito plays it cool -- Examiner

By Edward Castro, Examiner.com

Through it all Antonio Margarito never lost his cool.

He didn’t break down nor did he ever lash out.

Margarito took it like a man.

And now, after more than a year of dealing with relentless speculation, accusations and criticism, Margarito gets his one and only chance to redeem himself. On Saturday he will step into the ring to face Manny Pacquiao in front of an internationally televised audience.

“I tried not to dwell on the negative,” Margarito said during a conference call. “I know people will ask the questions and I have to answer the questions…and I have no problem with that.”

Margarito handled himself with poise during a series of chaotic media events.

“To me, right now all I am concentrating on is the fight,” Margarito said. “I know it’s going to be asked of me but I have to concentrate on the fight. Everything is in the past and I can’t wait until November 13.”

Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach put the controversy to rest a long time ago.

“There will be no tampering with hand wraps this time…it’s not an issue,” Roach said. “We are past that now. We are fighting on equal terms.”

There are some, however, who say this fight is not on equal terms. This relates to the size of the fighters – Margarito is naturally bigger than Pacquiao, who has struggled to reach the catch-weight of 150 pounds.

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum says the catch-weight is a non-issue.

“I remember Sugar Ray Leonard winning the light heavyweight championship of the world coming in at 165 pounds; the catch weight was 166,” Arum said. “This is not something new to boxing.”

Arum added, “It (Saturday’s fight) is being fought at a weight that is above the welterweight limit and at the maximum weight of 150 pounds. Therefore it qualifies as a super welterweight championship fight.”

Pacquiao, who will be fighting for his eighth world title in an unprecedented eighth different weight class, has shown little concern about Margarito’s height or reach advantage.

“We had plans for this camp to train for him and prepared ourselves with that strategy, so we have no problem with him,” Pacquiao said.

Pacquiao has fought as light as 105 pounds.

“With our strategy, we are not worried about the size,” Pacquiao said. “I believe I can fight the big guys even though I am small compared to them.”

Speaking of strategy, Margarito trainer Robert Garcia seemed confident that Margarito could expose Pacquiao weaknesses.

“I have always admired Pacquiao’s career,” Garcia said. “He has done good things in boxing. He is a seven time world champion. You can’t beat that. But watching his fights over and over, we know he makes mistakes.”

Margarito has faced some solid fighters in his career, but Pacquiao is by far the most talented opponent he has faced. Perhaps too talented.

“I couldn’t tell you anyone that comes close to his style or the way he fights,” Margarito said. “I have never fought anyone that comes close. I see his speed; I know he is a fast guy. But he is a smaller guy also. I see some things there.”

Roach has supreme confidence in his fighter.

“I think we will overwhelm him with punches, with fast hands and combinations,” Roach said. “In eight or nine rounds I think we will break him down. Margarito throws a lot of punches and he makes too many mistakes. He has bad habits and we are going to take advantage of all of them.”

Source: examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment