Friday 22 October 2010

Antonio Margarito's training days -- ESPN

By Antonio Margarito, Special to ESPNdeportes.com

In Antonio Margarito's training diary, the boxer offers an overview of his preparations -- on both a personal and professional level -- for his Nov. 13 fight against Manny Pacquiao (HBO PPV). Margarito, who will fight in the United States for the first time since his year-long suspension, offers intimate details of his training camp in California and opens the doors to his gym for a look at his intense daily routine.

Part 1: I am training very hard. For this fight we will be training for nine weeks. My routine is the same every day. I wake up at 5:30 in the morning and I jog. I run for about 45 or 50 minutes, sometimes up to an hour. We run in different places. Sometimes we go to the beach, or to the mountains, or we go to a park here in Oxnard, which is where we're training now. We were in L.A. for two weeks when we started training, but now we're in Oxnard.

After that, I come back and have breakfast. I take a shower, take a nap and then at around 1 p.m. we go to the gym. There, we do some sparring and maybe hit the pads, the double-end bag, and also some weights. Then I go eat and after that I go to sleep and that's my daily routine.

We're staying in a hotel. It's like a small lodge. I am here with my wife, but my entire family is in Tijuana. My wife is the only one who is with me all the time, but my family always stays in Tijuana, and I always do it like this. I have trained in the mountains (Big Bear) before, but that was when I was starting out. Right now we're working here in Oxnard, in the gym that (trainer) Robert (Garcia) owns here, and we're very pleased.

We have a lady that cooks for us, and after we're done she cooks for all of us. She takes care of me and cooks all kinds of foods, but always low in calories. I don't have limitations, I eat anything, but it has to be low in fat and calories.

Source: sports.espn.go.com

No comments:

Post a Comment