Friday 24 September 2010

UFC star credits Roach for success -- Manila Bulletin

By KARLO SACAMOS, Manila Bulletin

MANILA, Philippines — There’s no denying that Freddie Roach has been a big factor to Manny Pacquiao’s enormous success atop the ring.

But it seems that Pacquiao is not the only one who has greatly benefited from the four-time Trainer of the Year’s tutelage.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight titlist Georges St. Pierre can attest to Roach’s vast boxing knowledge, saying it was the American trainer himself who made him a more complete mixed martial artist.

UFC Mixed Martial Arts George St-Pierre Wall Hanging
“Freddie has taught me a lot. Before I met him, I thought I knew boxing. But he brought me back to school. He’s just so technical,” St. Pierre said during his UFC promotion press conference at the ABS-CBN compound.

St. Pierre, who is in the country until Sunday, said he is planning to meet up with the renowned tactician to prepare him for his upcoming fight against Josh Koscheck in December. He has been under Roach’s watchful eyes since last year.

“I plan to train with him in the country because I know he’s training with Manny Pacquiao for his fight right now,” said the 29-year-old Canadian, who, apart from his boxing skill, is adept at Brazilian jiu jitsu, wrestling, and muay thai.

“Since I have trained with him, I’ve been more accurate, been able to hit harder. He has really made a difference with my boxing training. And if I just follow what he tells me, I think I can’t be beaten in terms of boxing,” added St. Pierre, who is on a seven-fight winning streak.

St. Pierre has only been defeated twice in 22 career fights. He successfully defended his title for the fourth time against Dan Hardy in a unanimous decision last March 27.

Like Pacquiao, St. Pierre is regarded as the pound-for-pound king of his sport. And he believes his boxing counterpart is the best at his sport right now.

“Pacquiao is untouchable right now,” St. Pierre said.

He even said that if the fight between the Saranggani province solon and Floyd Mayweather pushes through, the former would win.

“I think Pacquiao will win, Mayweather has a lot to lose, but fans would love to see that fight,” he added.

Source: mb.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment