Wednesday 18 August 2010

Birthday Boy Don King on Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao, Muhammad Ali-George Foreman -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

FanHouse recently caught up to legendary promoter Don King, who turns 79 on Friday.

So on the eve of his birthday, FanHouse sought to pick his brain concerning a number of things, including his random thoughts ranging from the legendary Muhammad Ali-George Foreman Rumble in the Jungle of 1974, to the prospect of promoting a bout between Floyd Mayweather and WBO welterweight (147 pounds) champion Manny Pacquiao.

Below are a few of Mr. "Only In America's" musings.


On a potential bout between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacqiauo:

Mayweather-Pacquiao would be universal. It would transcend earthly bounds. With what I have in mind for Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao, if I'm fortunate enough to be able to be a part of it and to be able to get Floyd, I'm looking at something that would be so stupendous that it would boggle the mind.

It would be something that would bring billions of people together. It would be noted as a sporting event, but it would really be a humanitarian event. It would be somewhere where there would be fifteen hundred thousand people on the scene like we did with the Rumble in the Jungle.

So where I would put it? I don't know, because I don't have it -- yet. But if I get it then, you can ask me that question. But I would make it, what we call in the ghetto, something kind of wonderful. And I think that Bob Arum and I could put it together.


On the pygmies who attended Muhammad Ali-George Foreman "Rumble In The Jungle" on Oct. 30, 1974, in Kinshasa, Zaire:

I brought the pygmies out in 1974. Until then, it was like, people had heard about the pygmies, but they didn't know what the pygmies were. I visited all of the places and the natural rain forests and natural water falls, and I came across a pygmy village. I bore witness to a pygmy wedding.

So I asked [then-Zaire President, Mobutu Sese Seko] to make them a part of the celebration. And that's what he did. If you go look at the video, you will se the pygmies out there dancing.


On what it means to be a promoter:

From the time that I began in this business, I've been doing the same thing as when I was running the numbers business -- giving away turkeys on Thanksgiving, things like that. It didn't just start with the prize fighting business, it started with the street fighting business.

You've got to go and meet and greet. This is what it means to be a promoter of the people.


On his birthday wish for mankind:

No more being judged by the pigment of your skin, but by the content of your heart and character. We are our brothers' keeper, whether we want to be or not.


On his controversial reputation:

I've never been embarrassed by anything anyone says or a question that anyone has asked. A few years ago, I told a guy named Larry Merchant who was writing a column, that if you catch me wrong, cut my berries off. But if you catch me right, then give me my just due.

It's funny that they could never do that, but that's just the way that it is. One day, the truth will out.

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment