Friday 2 July 2010

Ryan Rhodes targets WBC clash with Margarito -- BBC Sport

BBC Sport

Ryan Rhodes believes he is closing in on a clash with Mexico's Antonio Margarito for the vacant WBC world light-middleweight title.

The 33-year-old from Sheffield will first have to defend his European light-middleweight belt against Lukas Konecny in Birmingham on 18 September.

"Margarito is number one with the WBC and I'm number two," said Rhodes.

"It is a dream fight for me and it appears like it can happen if I can beat Konecny on 18 September."

Part of promoter Frank Warren's 'The Magnificent Seven', the billing at the LG Arena in Birmingham will also feature Nathan Cleverly, Kell Brook, Michael Jennings, James DeGale, Enzo Maccarinelli and Derek Chisora.

Margarito made a winning return to the ring in May after his license was revoked for 12 months for attempting to fight Shane Mosley with an illegal plaster-like substance placed inside his hand wraps.

Rhodes added: "Margarito is an unbelievable fighter, though not as strong and aggressive as when he was at welterweight.

"I'd be too fast and too strong for him. I campaigned for seven or eight years at middleweight and more than held my own."

"Fighting him is a mouth-watering prospect and would be a dream fight for me.

"He hasn't reapplied for his license to fight in the United States but of course I'd go to Mexico to face him.

"There's a shadow over his win against Miguel Cotto because of his ban after the Mosley fight, but it was a lovely fight to watch but terrible to be involved in.

"By the end of this year I should be fighting for a world title, preferably against Margarito for the WBC belt."

Source: news.bbc.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment