Sunday 20 June 2010

Antonio Tarver to Make Ring Return As a Heavyweight -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Tarver, Antonio - Signed 8x10Former light heavyweight (175 pounds) world champion, Antonio Tarver, said that he plans to return to the ring soon -- but as a heavyweight.

"I definitely wanted to move up to cruiserweight [200 pounds,] where there was one guy in particular that I wanted to fight. So I feel that if I'm going to stay in the game of boxing and give it my all, then I've got to set big goals for myself. And as you see, I'm looking a little full right now," said Tarver, a 6-foot-2 southpaw who will turn 42 in November.

"So I'm going to put on some muscle and the champ is going heavyweight," said Tarver, who will target the Klitschko brothers, WBO and IBF king Wladimir (54-3, 48 KOs), WBC champ, Vitali (39-2, 37 KOs), and, WBA titlist, David Haye (24-1, 22 KOs). "So, to the Klitschkos and to David Haye, be on the look out, because I'm coming."

The 41-year-old Tarver (27-6, 19 knockouts) made his announcement following Saturday night's unanimous decision by WBA super middleweight (168 pounds) champion, Andre Ward (22-0, 13 KOs) over Allan Green (29-2, 20 KOs) that was televised on Showtime from The Oracle Arena, in Oakland, Calif.

A Showtime boxing color commentator, Tarver has lost his last two bouts, respectively, to Chad Dawson by unanimous decision in October of 2008, and, May of 2009.

Among the biggest victories for Tarver are those over Roy Jones, against whom he is 2-1, with one second-round knockout victory.

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment